Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

4x50w or 2x100w ??????

I have a question.

My planned ICE install will sound something like this..............

Pioneer headunit,

Infinity 605 components in the front doors.

JBL 6x9's in a stealth shelf powered from a 4 channel amp which will also be running my 12" JBL sub.

My question is my headunit is 4 x 50w however I will only be running the front components from this so if I was to run the cables from the rear speakers to the crossovers too will this create 2 x 100w from my headunit or does it not work like this??? :? :? :?

Tony
    Sold my astra!!! Will be driving a BSM corsa soon!! Then a MK5 VXR Mmmmmm............

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thought about this a few years back and was told by an ICE expert that head units can't be bridged. So the answer to your question would be no. You could run it active though and send 50w (realistically more like 20w rms) to each component of your set up ie. seperate power to speaker and tweeter.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    When you say run it active mate whats that??

As in dont use the cross over?

I also thought bout maybe getting a 200w 2 channel amp to power the fronts.

Forgive me mate but when it comes to amps and things Im slowly getting there ops:

Tony
    Sold my astra!!! Will be driving a BSM corsa soon!! Then a MK5 VXR Mmmmmm............

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    No worries mate, i'm just getting there myself.
    Running active could involve the use of crossovers, but instead you'd use two seperate ones, one for main woofer, one for tweeter. The one you've got with your components at present will be splitting one signal into two.
    Amping the fronts will make em sound much better. Why not try hooking the amp you've got up to the components and sub and either leave out the 6*9's completely or just run em off the HU. I bet you it will sound louder than the set up at present cos you'll be getting more sounds nearer your ears.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah, i agree, amp up the fronts. You get a much better balanced system with more up front, sounds much clearer & louder. But your still gunna need something in the back to give you that bit of rear fill to it.
    Astra G 1.6 16v SXi

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ok so amping the fronts sounds best.

My idea was to run the sub and 6x9 from a 900w 4 channel amp.

My components are Infinity 605cs
    Spec - Power handling 90w Rms,, 270w peak

So if I got a 300w 2 channel amp would this be too powerful for these??? Or not powerful enough??

Tony

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Did u try wiring up the 4 channel you've got at the minute to the front comps & sub? U might find u prefer more sounds in the front (meant to be more acoustic). I'd hold back buying that new amp til u try it.
    That 300w amp should be plenty powerful as if the ratings are accurate, at max you'll be giving each component 150w. Its always better to run a more powerful amp at say only half max power and you'll need to do this to avoid frying ur comps.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Tony,

I'm running those same 605cs upfront direct from my head unit which is also 50wx4 and to be honest they are underpowered...I have 2-way Infinity's at the rear and they sound a bit better because the output of the headunit is better rated to them...I'd put an amp to the components if I were you.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cheers guys,

I think Ill amp the sub and components then and see how that sounds.

Ill run the 6 x 9s straight from the headunit and see how that sounds. Might see how the system sounds like that, then decide whether to amp the 6x9's or not.

Tony