Thread: Advice for Rolling Road Users

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Advice for Rolling Road Users

I thought I'd pass on the tips I have got from my local RR operator, so that people going down to Northampton will be prepared. I know that most of this is common sense, but it is surprising the number of times he has seen mistakes.

1. Check your tyre pressures, especially the driven wheels. The rollers have two points of contact on the tyres, so the tyres will be working harder than they do on the road. Ideally you want the pressure set up for motorway/high load driving.
    2. Check all your fluid levels. Oil, Water especially. The car will be running under load with reduced airflow to the radiator(s) so it needs the cooling system to work as efficiently as possible.
    3. Check the fundamentals. Is the HT leads, plugs, distributor cap (??) in good condition. If not the car may lose power. Pointless forking for a session to be told that a plug needs cleaning or something equally as daft.
    4. Cam belt. Very important. If it is not within the service interval some operators won't let you do a power run. If it snaps your engine may well be going home in a bucket.
    5. Fuel. When the car is running on the rolling road it will be doing 80 or 90 mph in top to find the peak power. Don't turn up running on fumes. Just because the car isn't ACTUALLY moving doesn't mean it isn't burning unleaded like it normally would (I have witnessed this happen)
    6. TRACTION CONTROL. If you don't know how to disable the system you are not going to be able to run. On most cars, even with a TC switch to turn it off, the ECU for it will fault and cut power if the rear wheels are static and the fronts are doing 70 mph. This is true on the Astra G, so make sure you have a screwdriver handy to pull the relevant fuse to shut down this function.

If anyone else knows of other relevant things I haven't covered, please copy and paste the thread, adding to it.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Make sure your tracking is ok or the car will not sit on the runner properly and give false readings.
    Cant Think of Anything Funny To Say

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Clean underwear is needed as they redline and hold it there, me and andy both had a short flame burst from ours on regal RR day. If you dont want your engine screaming, dont go on.
    Cant Think of Anything Funny To Say

Status
    Banned
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Front towing hook required to help to hold the beast down.

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    Front towing hook required to help to hold the beast down
    Found my car has no tool kit which is where I assume this is kept, guess someone will have one the same they can lend me

Clean underwear is needed as they redline and hold it there, me and andy both had a short flame burst from ours on regal RR day
    Shame the flame burst on ur car didnt set fire to the old banger
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote
    Electrical fault finding also taken on
    Located in N/W London HA3, and willing to travel within reason

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You shouldn't need to use a towing eye to strap the car down. A strap between the two front doors should be sufficient, even for monsters like Pete's Coupe.

Unless Pure Astra MK4 brings his 3.0 V6 down, then we might have problems

Status
    Banned
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It's a decent RR place, I cant see them going to the hassle of strapping between doors when a perfectly good towing hook will do !

I'm certainly don't want them strapping anything near the edge of my skirts :shock:

Unless of course it's 4wd.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Autosparks
    Front towing hook required to help to hold the beast down
    Found my car has no tool kit which is where I assume this is kept, guess someone will have one the same they can lend me
    You can borrow mine mate! I'm sure i've got it in the car somewhere!!

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Can someone lend me a hand to disable my TC, as I haven't a clue how to do this.
    Astra Sri Turbo

CS4 276BHP/325lbft

LMF Vauxhall - 01858 433599

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by c10kem
    Can someone lend me a hand to disable my TC, as I haven't a clue how to do this.
    That makes 2 of us!
    I'm told it's the fuse that controls the abs & Traction control. It should be in the handbook. I'll have a look tonight.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast