Thread: Engine conversion?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Engine conversion?

Well, i'm not sure if many of you guys know but Vauxhall messed my Atra up a while ago after they replaced cam belt and then it went the following day. After a lot of trouble after first sorting the engine out originally, they left a message on my mobile today telling me there gonna drop a new engine in.

Hopefully that'll sort the problems i was having but when thinking about it, they are gonna have to take that engine out and drop a new one in and pay for it would it be too much work for them to drop in a 1.6 16v (still 20 with 3 points, gotta be realistic) instead of a 1.4 16v and what sorta price would you reckon it'll be.

The after sales manager aint in till monday so i was thinking whether or not if would be worth giving them a bell and asking whether this would be possible... any thoughts on this?

Status
    Sir Peter Pan
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Don`t see why not, shouldn`t be too much difference, labour costs would be the same.

Go for it mate and while you`re at it, ask about the 1.8 or 2ltr
    My Project Auto-Biography Thread: Skin of an Astra - Heart of a Monaro - Click here to read more!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'd be very surprised if the dealership would even consider the request on several grounds.

1.cost of the engine will be different
    2.different parts needed between the 2 engines
    3.warranty implications

I don't know the details of the original case, but i must admit that if they've repaired their damage to VXL standards the're going all out to keep you as a customer by offerening an FOC engine replacement.

What problems have you been having since the repair?

If they repaired it correctly you shouldn't have any continued concerns from the base engine.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    After the original event, the stripped down the engine and replaced all the valves and something to do with the cylinder head plus some other stuff i cant remember.

After that it was burning loads of oil, had to top up once a week (every 500 miles or so) which they supplied while they were looking into it. They had problems waiting for their insurance company on the re-claim and 6-7 weeks later here we are. They took my car in at the weekend and gave me a courtesy car...

You mentioned cost of a bigger engine but i would happily pay out the extra it would cost for a 1.6 if they were gonna fit a engine free anyway.

Status
    Banned
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Do your homework, by phoning up another dealer and getting costs for both engines, so that you know how much of a difference there is.

That way he can't bull sh it you in any way, when you ask if they'll do it.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    On reading that i'd say the engine swap is an over repair as a customer loyaly gesture.

It's very rare for piston to valve contact to result in the need for a new powerunit.
    I'd be guessing at a damaged/distorted valve (s) guide allowing the oil into the combustion chamber.

A new head would solve that issue.

Of course, i'm only speaking from personal experience here as i havent seen the damage sustained by the engine. Although any piston/bore damage would have been visable during the original repair. It would also show up with some basic diagnostics.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    When I was at renault we got asked this alot, same answer was always NO. Warranty.
    Cant Think of Anything Funny To Say