Thread: "Powerchip"/Software "upgrade" Should i?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

"Powerchip"/Software "upgrade" Should i?

Looking to get this done, as in Australia, there's a company called powerchip and they send me everything i need (bar the laptop, i have to provide that myself) to install the software...
    For ~£370 i can get it, i just have to send their device back when i'm done, if holden over write it they will let me borrow the equip again and update it... The software actually is modified leaving the exact same details, etc, just a different map, aparantly there's no way for the dealer to know if it's been done - hence it's appeal, the dealer is chucking a spack at me for changing the air filter!!!
    What i've done so far:
    Rear muffler change to alot less restrictive version
    Pod filter which will be properly shielded
    It's a 2.2L SRI manual, they also said, if i try it, and i don't feel the difference, i can send it back and they'll refund me!
    Running 98 octane (ultimate, optimax)

stock: 108KW 203NM
    "gold98": 120KW 229NM

If that produces the power it says it does, thats a pretty good increase, IMO... They also said if you have to run it on unleaded that it goes, just decreased performance.......
    I need a few answers just to make me think about it

Help
    Aaron
    Opel/Vauxhall/Holden Astra SRi 2.2L
    For all your Car Audio Questions
    http://mig2.lathwood.co.uk/upload/n/nutter.jpg
    *I choose to reject your reality and substitute my own*

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ooer, it all sounds a bit too DIY for me personally! The fact that the changes are transparent to a dealer sounds great - that is the one thing bothering me about my decision to have a software only upgrade. For me though, the price you quote isn't low enough to warrant risking the DIY aspect. What if the update fails half way through etc etc??!

Jonathan