Thread: cheap effective engine mods

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

cheap effective engine mods

hey i wonder if anyone can help i have a 03 plate 1.6 16v sxi. im just about to derestrict my air box. i was just wondering if there was any other cheap mods i can do without spending a fortune. ive heard the ecotek fuelfilters r good does anyone have one on a 1.6 16v. any ideas or help would b much appreciated.
    Astra Irmsher 2003 MK4 1.6 16v SXI(debadged).Toad Ai606 alarm.(Irmsher bbox,front grill & doorpins).Gsi spoiler,Sri front splitter,smoked lights and tinted windows lowered 40(spax).

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Got an induction kit going if you want one cheap - noise and a little more power !

Other than that, back box for a small increase and looks. Not much else TBH.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Get someone else to pay for your mods Sorry!
    Live Your Dreams & Face your fears

Drives Astra GSI Turbo (Take II)

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

engine mods

well is there any other engine mods worth doin to a 1.6 it doesnt have to b cheap,and does anyone know anything about those ecotek valves or fuelfilters.
    Astra Irmsher 2003 MK4 1.6 16v SXI(debadged).Toad Ai606 alarm.(Irmsher bbox,front grill & doorpins).Gsi spoiler,Sri front splitter,smoked lights and tinted windows lowered 40(spax).

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    While your destricting the airbox you could add a larger diameter cold air feed pipe? And shove a pvd filter in the airbox too while your at it.

those ecotek valves, well opinion on this board is divided on them. some have said its good ( mostly for fuel economy rather than power though ) while others have said it makes no difference. One definite FACT whether its any good or not is it makes a strange sucking type sound.

the 1.6 16v engine is very good, 100bhp listed but you probably run at more than that as standard anyway. There are loads of mods available for it but they cost a fair bit... check courtney's or regal's websites for power enhancing mods. the usual, heads, cams etc..... apply. One member of this board ( Jinkus ) got something like 260bhp from this engine.
    ShaanK. BMW E92 335i Msport and BMW E83 2.5i X3

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    you could go for the throttle in let thing. Thats about £400 but give 22bhp extra

There are loads available for the 1.6 and TBH i sometimes wished i had went for that one rather than my 1.8 as there aint that much around for mine
    Ibiza FR CR TDI with 203 BHP

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ditto. there are no where near as many mods for the 1.8 engine compared to the 1.6. In retrospect I'd like to have the 1.6 and mod for performace and it'd be better than the 1.8 easily.
    ShaanK. BMW E92 335i Msport and BMW E83 2.5i X3

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

engine mods

i would buy the ecotek valve just for the fuel economy. does it definately improve fuel economy though.has anyone got a 1.6 with the ecotek in it can the recomend it. the strange sucking noise that its meant to make does it sound good or does it make the car sound like a bag of s**te.

Status
    2170:01:06
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The strange noise sounds like someone sucking that last bit out of a coke can with a straw, only LOUDER

The optional PiperX silencer/filter does a very good job off killing the noise tho.

Have a look on the forum of the ecotec website (http://www.ecotekplc.com/index.htm for more gen on specific engines.