Thread: LED dash conversion help

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

LED dash conversion help

I need to know what blub or led I use to do my light switches and interrior light switch, I have donee the one led but aint got a clue what to do with the bulb,
    Also what do I ask for for the led for the fag lighter and what led do I use for the electric window switches and how do I do them. cheers Brett

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hello,

What have you got in the dials at the moment? If you want proper blue then LEDs are the only way, though aren't going to be that bright. Currently I've gone for red (Audi Style) and dipped replacement bulbs with lacquer. Makes the dials much brighter. I've got white in the mileometer and MFD to match my Pioneer P77 ICE

For the Ciggy lighter I soldered an LED and resistor directly onto it to get the most light.

The T/C Switch you need to de-solder the bulb and put 3mm LED and resistor in.

The heater controls take the same fitting as on the dash .

The MFD has the same, though they need to be done right to avoid hot spots (I have 2x3mm white in each holder).

The passenger window switch I don't know how to take apart, and the drivers one has SMT leds in.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Adam

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I have done all off the above and got good results bar the milometer is dim so I will sort that out today. what I needed to know is what LEDS or Bulb would I need to sort the headlamp switch out. IM going to have a crack at soldering a LED to the connections to see how that works.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ah, Cool!

Make sure you get a resistor in somewhere though.

Will do mine soon.

Would be interested to know how you did the window switches!

Cheers,

Adam

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i've done all that and a few of my mates .As for the e/w switch u need 1x3mm led for the pass and 2xsmd type led for the driver's u also need another 6 of these for the steering controls. As for the light switch u need to solder them on in place, if youre doing blue you need 2 in the bottom part of the switch to make it brighter.Use this link and click on FAQ for more inf of what u need - http://blauertacho.k-k.de/

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I have done most of it now just the small LED at the topthe 3mm one I have brought a bright blue version, a 5.6v the highest rating avalible acording to the guy behind the counter, installed it soldered it in identical to the original, turned them on it lasted all of 5 sec and popped. Would I have to run a resistor with this one as well. The door switches Im going to look at tonight.

Dont any body know what volts the small 3m led is in the lights switch.
    And also how I could run another led into one bulb holder for the milage counter cause its not bright enough for the day time use.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi there,

Get your LEDs from www.ultraleds.co.uk - cheap and you can get resistors too.

All 5/3mm ultra bright ones need a resistor for 12V.

For the milometer You can solder 2x 3mm leds easily into one holder if you need to (what I have in my MFD), otherwise a 5000mcd 5mm clear. I have a 3mm white one with the glass from the standard bulb on it to diffuse it a bit and it's OK.

Autoray - how do you get into the passenger window switch, had it out but can't see how to get in...

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    is this how you connect the LED and resistor?

1 leg of the resistor connected to the circuit board (where the bulb was connected to)

1 leg from the resistor to 1 leg of the LED

then the other leg of the LED to the circuit board (where the bulb was connected to)

not sure how to do it ne other way!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    That's right... connect resistor to the positive leg (normally the longer one). LEDs only light one way round.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    cheers mate, just ordered sum LED's & Resistors from that web site, gota give this ago!