Thread: Standard Astra stereo

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Standard Astra stereo

Does anybody know if the standard astra mk4 stereo has the amp output (red and white) If so is it possible to connect a amp and sub straight to it???
    The help would be much appriciated
    MK4 AstraG 1.8 SRI, Irmy front grill, smoked front and rear lights, K&N Induction kit, 18" Platinum 5 tooro alloys.
    Many more mods to come!!!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    No, it does not have RCA outputs to connect up a standard amp. To do this you will need either a amp that has speaker level outputs(not that many about like this) or you could use a Line level convertor(LOC) to convert the Speaker outputs to a RCA outputs, thereby allowing you to connect any amp. For LOC's the Alpine 4311 is about the best available here in the UK and costs about £30.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BasilD
    No, it does not have RCA outputs to connect up a standard amp. To do this you will need either a amp that has speaker level outputs(not that many about like this) or you could use a Line level convertor(LOC) to convert the Speaker outputs to a RCA outputs, thereby allowing you to connect any amp. For LOC's the Alpine 4311 is about the best available here in the UK and costs about £30.
    Cheers the information mate as i am no ICE expert :roll:

So the LOC i could buy would enable me to do this??? The reason why i wanted to know is because i do want to leave the standard stereo so all the displays still work and steering wheel controls still work.
    What would i plug the LOC into??? and then would that give me the red and white connections needed for the amp??? and is it easy to fit?? Would it affect the exisitng speakers (less power going to them). Do you think this is worth doing???

Cheers for the help mate
    MK4 AstraG 1.8 SRI, Irmy front grill, smoked front and rear lights, K&N Induction kit, 18" Platinum 5 tooro alloys.
    Many more mods to come!!!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    TBH I would ditch the standard headunit a get something better.

Remember there are makes out there like Sony, Blaupunkt and Kenwood that have adapters that allow you to retain the steering wheel controls and the display and give you added features like dedicated pre-Out to connect amps and subs, allow MP3's to be played etc. (see the Sticky at the top of this forum or clik on this link http://www.m1gst.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1190 )

Going the Loc route is a cheap way to go but in truth unless the factory headunit is very good it is not really worth it and as I implied above the standard headunits are not that good.

But in answer to your question the LOC will enable you to add the sub and amp that you want, and no, it will not affect the exsisting speakers as you could amp them at the same time. The loc hooks up to the speaker cables at the back of the ISO loom (L and R) and it additionally needs a remote 12V to turn on and off and a ground signal. You can tap into the exsisting ones at the back of your stereo.