Thread: Brake upgrade

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Brake upgrade

Im looking at upgrading my brakes, but am unsure what would be best.

I have seen vectra 2.5 V6 calipers and disc sets for £200, will these fit my SRi??

What other alternatives would anyone suggest. I dont fancy spending £1200 on a caliper/disc/pad combo as I dont have that sorta cash.

Would a simple disc / pad upgrade be good enough for me? I aint got any engine mods, apart from the airbox / filter I plan in doing soon but thats it.

Also my rear passenger side brakes get really hot they sqeak. I have to cool them down sometimes with water coz they are really hot. This only happens when I have been driving around for a while. I was told it could be sticky sliders?? but im unsure what these are? Any ideas??

Tony
    Sold my astra!!! Will be driving a BSM corsa soon!! Then a MK5 VXR Mmmmmm............

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    real bad move putting water on to cool down the brakes! doing this will seriously warp the disc as it will retract to quickly. funnily enough ive been moanin on about my rear brakes squeaking and howling and yesterday i had new pads fitted its completely solved the problem. it maybe worth servicing them as a bit of copper slip on the backs of the pads should stop the squeaky noise and as for the runners, what you say makes sense so maybe a little copper slip there to.
    Cheers Rich.
    http://images.fotopic.net/?iid=yfn4l...x=400&oq=0
    North East Regional OrganiserClickHERE For The Regional Forum!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    on the mk4 your best bet is to upgrade to the 308mm stuff from an astra coupe turbo
    Cant Think of Anything Funny To Say

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    do you know if the coupe brake calipers will fit on a 4 stud mk4 as i know a company will make the discs and pads for me
    Carmodi 01462 850355 Alloys, Brakes, Exhausts, Suspension, Spoilers, Tyres and much much more please call for prices.DISCOUNTS FOR MEMBERS OF ASTRA-SPORT.......01462 850 355 or email carmodi707@hotmail.com

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Will coupe turbo calipers fit straight on??
    My astra is five stud that why i thought bout the vectra V6 upgrade.

Can anyone suggest a disc and pad front and rear combo that would improve my braking?? Until I can get the cash to upgrade to better calipers?? If im gonna take the rear caliper apart to put copper slip on them I may aswell replace the discs and pad at the same time.

Tony
    Sold my astra!!! Will be driving a BSM corsa soon!! Then a MK5 VXR Mmmmmm............

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Tony, the discs are the same on the Astra Turbo's and the Vectra V6's. If you have a 5 bolt hub they will also bolt straight on. I'm not sure about the calipers, I think the V6 Vectra has the same caliper carrier as the Astra, but the bore sizes on the actual calipers may be different.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    no the astra stuff is different to the veccy as i've got petes old brakes to fit on mine and they are defo more work to fit than the veccy stuff as thats nearly bolt on.

If your need assistance on brakes v-tuning are the guys to speak to.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    NRJ, you're not kidding! You're trying to fit the 5 bolt brakes to a Mk3

I've checked EPC tonight. The V6 disc and the Turbo disc have identical part numbers. The V6 Calipers and the Turbo Calipers have totally different part numbers.

I suspect that the V6 Vectra caliper will be bigger bore in the caliper piston, associated with a bigger master cylinder piston. This is to compensate that the Veccy is a fair bit heavier than the Astra. If you can fit the V6 Caliper to the Astra, I suspect that you will get more pedal travel than the original, in much the same way you get when fitting Astra 16v brakes to a Nova or Corsa.

Courtenay sell a kit using Saab discs and a new carrier to fit V6 size discs to the 5 bolt MK4 Astra, but they're not cheap.

Best option is to fish around the scrappers for a V6 Vectra to nick its calipers and carriers. Astra Turbo calipers are probably a better option, but in breakers these cars are rarer than rocking horse droppings

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    NRJ, you're not kidding! You're trying to fit the 5 bolt brakes to a Mk3
    Thats the easy bit to sort out, i'm going 5 stud :P

Status
    AOC Obsessed