Thread: SXI/SRI vs LS

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

SXI/SRI vs LS

Hi folks - first post for me, here we go.

I'm buying a mk4 Astra (should this be referred to as the 'G' model?) but am looking for advice on the SXI/SRI models. Ideally I want a 2001 1.8 SRI but a 1.8 SXI would be just as good. The only changes I intend making are lowering springs (can't afford to spend much), keeping the wheels/engine/dampers as standard.

My first question is:
    SXI's/SRI's are quoted as having 'sports suspension' - this looks lower than a 'standard suspension' LS model. Is it lower? And if so, how much lower?

Secondly:
    Lowering springs are quoted as having (for example) -30mm ride height reduction. I presume that this is the drop if fitted to an LS model - but what drop would I get if I was to fit -30mm springs to a 'sports suspension' equipped SXI/SRI, which looks like it is already lowered?

Finally:
    Eibach springs: should I get Sportline Springs -45/50mm, or Pro-Kit -30mm? I'd prefer the Sportline for their greater drop, but am worried they might be too harsh (keeping standard dampers/wheels). Any advice would be welcomed.

Thanks in advance. Please be patient with me, its my first trip into modifying a car...
    2004 RenaultSport Clio 172 MkII Monaco Blue (ex-AstraG 1.6 SXI)

Status
    The Sticker Queen
    Mentioned in
    35 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    The SXi and SRi are all 20mm lower than other model astras....if you bought -30mm lowering springs and fitted them to an SXi/SRi then you would only drop another 10mm however if you fitted them to an LS then you would drop the full -30.

Welcome to the site.
    MINXY BUTLER-HENDERSON

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cheers for the advice - you confirmed what I thought. Much appreciated.

So, would the Eibach Sportline springs (-45/50mm) lower the car too much for standard dampers to cope with? They're described as a "stiffer design for a sporty ride" on the PVD website, whereas the Pro-Kit (-30mm) is a "progressive design to improve both ride and handling".I can live with a reasonably 'firm' ride, but don't want to feel every single little bump (I'm changing from a mk1 punto sporting - not the most forgiving suspension...).

Sportline or Pro-kit?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Anyone?

Would it be too much to lower my Astra 45-50mm on standard dampers?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Apex -40mm springs. Tried and tested by a lot of people on AS including meeeee. Depending on how long you can wait for the springs mine will be up for sale in the new year as its just not low enough.

Really if your going to go lower the -40mm you should upgrade you shockers the standard ones will have too much travel, be too soft so your handling will go to shit and they will start leaking.

I'll probably go with the Avo full kit but I always change my mind

Sy

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ive heard quite a few peopel rate the Eibach springs very highly on here so those are the ones id probabaly go for.

personally i think a 30mm drop should be sufficient for the look im going for and for practicle reasons, but im not prepared to pay that much for 10 mm lower at the moment
    gsi front, sri turbo rear, bk299's, 2x15" diamond m3's and a dls a6 I need more bass ... 1200 rms and counting