Thread: Boost On Z20LET

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Boost On Z20LET

On looking at some Engine specs, it turns out that the maximum std boost on this engine is 0.85 bar (which is roughly about 12.3 psi).

My car is pretty much std except for exhaust and 57i, it runs 8 psi boost in 1st and 2nd and about 10psi in 3rd and 4th.

Regal state for their phase 1 & 2 that boost in 1st/2nd is 0.5 bar (7.3 psi) and 0.9 bar (13.5 psi) in 3rd/4th.

If Regals boost figures are correct, it seem's hardly worth forking out £680 plus for very little boost. Especially when I am already running more boost than their program in 1st and 2nd gear.

Just wondered what other people's boost level is, to find out if mine is somewhere off the mark?

Has Pete got a boost gauge, as it would be interesting to see his boost levels ? (Does he have the larger turbo anyway.?)

Regds,

Mantamagic

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Pete has a phase III blower, running 23psi. I am running standard blower at 12psi through 3-5 gears. Then 10psi in 1st and 2nd. 14.5 Psi overboost protection. I am hoping that the oon to be had AMD remap will allow for more power and a remap of the traction control.

Petes power is arounf 300bhp. I would hope mine to be around 215-220bhp. This is unknown at the moment.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Have you actually upped the fuel pressure, if so how (if done without replacing the std fuel pressure reg) ?

I guess you have tweaked the actuator to give you the extra boost, ever thought of fitting a dawes valve to hold the boost better and tweak it further ?

What is the Amal Valve, and can it be removed...?

Regds,

Mantamagic

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The Actuator has remained in the same position, as the ECU will override the setting anyway. The bleed valve has been altered as has the fuelling map by a good friend - the fuel pressure has been altered slightly, but not significantly.

I have had enough of fiddling now so will get it setup properly by AMD. Get her RR and a decent output done.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi all, just registered on the site. LordNikon your mates phase 3 that 23psi is obviosly at peek boost is it? what psi does it then hold? Ihave a standard gsi turbo and map and mine Peaks at 10 and holds about 7-8 as yours mantamagic.

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J1SGO
    Hi all, just registered on the site. LordNikon your mates phase 3 that 23psi is obviosly at peek boost is it? what psi does it then hold? Ihave a standard gsi turbo and map and mine Peaks at 10 and holds about 7-8 as yours mantamagic.
    Pete is actually on here, I only know him through AS, but I'm sure he will be able to fully answer the question for you. I am under the impression that it actually holds around 23Psi, it will obviously have an over boost protection.

Your GSi will peak at 10, as this is preset in the ECU, and then hold 9 PSI. This is the standard map and setting for the GSi software. You may see the odd spike to 12Psi when the Turbo spools.

To get much above 1.2bar I believe you need a bigger/more powerful turbo. I know of a standard Z20let turbo running around 17psi, and this would be the limit IMO.

PS - welcome to the site !!

Status
    Sir Peter Pan
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Welcome to AS mate.

I don`t have a boost gauge, but, Jon Sheild of Courtenay connected one when he test drove my car and told me , it peaks around 25.5psi overboost to 27psi and runs @ 23psi.

It was something like that, but what stuck in my mind was, that it was running @ 23psi

The test drive was up and down a 2 mile incline, in 4th from 40 - 100. Before the front pipe and sports cat were fitted, 13.6 secs up and 12.2 down.
    After the mods 11.5 up and 10.2 down

Must get a boost gauge next :roll:
    My Project Auto-Biography Thread: Skin of an Astra - Heart of a Monaro - Click here to read more!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Mine is standard and I can get 0.5 Bar in first and second (maybe overboosts a touch more). The most I've seen in any gear is about 0.7 bar to 0.8 bar overboosting.

It holds steady at about 0.6 under acceleration

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    Mine is standard and I can get 0.5 Bar in first and second (maybe overboosts a touch more). The most I've seen in any gear is about 0.7 bar to 0.8 bar overboosting.

It holds steady at about 0.6 under acceleration
    Steve is that 0.5 Bar in 1st and 2nd held?, or overboosting?. I've been on the german boards and from what i can understand the EDS stuff holds 0.5 Bar in 1st and 2nd 0.9 Bar in 3rd to 5th and then overboosts to a Max of 1.5 Bar.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It seems to hold 0.5Bar OK in first or second, but I usually change up when it goes past that, as I change early in first and second (it is usually around town)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast