Thread: Headlight Moisture

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Headlight Moisture

Since it turned really cold this weekend I have noticed one of my headlights has started to steam up, just along the bottom edge. More than a slight fog, but not streaming water. Why is this happening, the other headlight is fine! Starting to niggle me now.

I've tried to have a look at the technical guide regarding headlight misting, but I can't save a copy of the PDF file.

Any ideas appreciated.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    the rubber seal has probably gone on it, you should pop the light out and check the seal, if its come away glue it back on... or try and pick up a new light.
    Previous Astras: 1994 Cesaro 1.8 16v | 2002 SXi 1.6 16v | 2001 Coupé 2.0 Turbo | 1999 LS 1.6 16v
    Other Vauxhalls: 2001 Vectra 1.8 16v| 2003 Vectra GSi 3.2 V6 | 2005 Signum CDTi 150

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    dont try the old trick of tinfoil round the light with it switched on until it evaporates out as the soft plastic melts quite quickly.

I have experiance of this lol.
    Luckily the garage that told me to try it paid for a new light - lol.
    Skuzzle - Powered by Badgerbyte Web & IT Services

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    This is a really common problem for Astra G's. I have been told to try a damp towel over it and leave the light on but I haven't tried it? I have also been told that the problem is caused because the rubber bump stops on the edge of the bonnet are not adjusted correctly, the result is that when you drop the bonnet down it goes a bit too far and eventually it cracks the lense seal! Try adjusting the bump stops slightly to avoid this in the future but it won't fix it once the damage has been done

:roll:

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Bit of a shame, wouldn't have expected this to happen so soon. Is there any way I can check the seal without having to take the light out, or is it easy to take it out and put it back properly?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The trick I use if I pressure wash the headlights and get mist in them is to put the chamois leather over the offending light and leave it on mainbeam for 10 minutes, drys out fine. It is only a very fine misting though, anything more and it is probably the seal which has gone

Status
    In House Designer
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ok what i did

removed one of the lights from behind the headlight and placed a up turned plastic bottel into the hole. then chopped the bottom off the bottel so it looked like a funnel. then i used a hair dryer to evaporate all the mosture. add a small amount of grease to the seals of the lights and put the blubs back in.

now the lights are air tight again and shouldn't have any moisture in them

i did that a year ago and have not had any problems
    Visit our-formats.com for creative design services

Status
    Sir Peter Pan
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    How old is the car mate ?

This happened to me last winter, I took the car back to VX and had `em replaced under warranty.
    My Project Auto-Biography Thread: Skin of an Astra - Heart of a Monaro - Click here to read more!

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    About a month old Pete. It is only the drivers side headlight that is doing this, the other one seems fine. Had a look about an hour after I got in from work and it was steamed up over a larger area than before. Lets the car down.

I've heard that if the rubber stops on the bonnet aren't adjusted correctly it can cause this problem as the seals get damaged.

I will try my local dealer, but I have a feeling they will just blag me. Any plans of attack appreciated.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    my local dealer said leave the lights on for 15 mins and if it is still there theye will replace under warranty.

I done that and had no probs getting new ones.
    Lee_SRi

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast