Thread: Converting to 4 wheel drive

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Converting to 4 wheel drive

Im a little fuzzy about this, Can it be done?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    What car you got?. But it really comes down to one thing how much money you got or how much skill you got

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I havent got my car yet, im after a 888 in mint condition or if not a Astra Gsi Turbo. How much will it cost like? I arent actually sure if it can be done, Can it?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Anything can be done if you have enough time, money and patience. Courtenay converted a MK3 GSi to 4WD C20LET power a few years back, but they swore never to do one again as it is a real tricky job.

Basically you need an engine, the Calibra 6 speed gearbox (the only one with a transfer box) and the propshaft and rear axle gear from a Calibra or Cavalier 4x4. Then you need to make it fit in a MK4 Astra. Cut the floorpan to take the prop, rear differential and rear suspension etc. Modify the prop and half shafts to fit the Astra's wheelbase and track. Get the gearbox to talk to the ECU if you're using Z20LET power, as it will need to limit 1st and 2nd gear torque. Ermm, probably can't use the Astra rear brakes, so the Calibra running gear will need to be mated to the Astra's ABS and TC system. Retrim the interior carpet to cover the new propshaft housings, possibly modify and relocate the handbrake and even mod the rear seats to accomodate the bulge where the rear diff will be. On the MK3 Courtenay also had to mod the passenger slide floorpan with a bulge to clear the transfer box.

Dead easy really. Dunno why we all haven't done it already ?

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Steve has summed it up perfectly. If you look at the floor pan of a Cav/Callie 4x4 there is a bulge down by the passengers seat, this is the transfer box housing. The spare wheel well intrudes into the boot due to the diff !

It is a real pain in the arse, if you want 4x4 then buy a cav/callie 4x4 turbo. If you want a new 4x4 don't buy a vauxhall astra !

IF you have to have a 4x4 Astra G Turbo, then buy an older/cheaper model, seeing as you are going to replace the engine and running gear it doesn't have to be a top of the range model ! - then save probably in the region of 10-15k for the change ! :shock: :shock: :shock: Exclusivity doesn't come cheap !!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yikes, I passed out after the second sentence

Un sure now, basically it wont work in an Astra Mk4 will it, unless i suffer and do it. But i want good performance you see so maybe i might go for it in the future. Maybe there could be another way round it?

Status
    Sir Peter Pan
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Correct me if I`m wrong, but, I think the guy, who`s car Courtenay`s converted, changed it back to FWD because it handled like a pig :?
    My Project Auto-Biography Thread: Skin of an Astra - Heart of a Monaro - Click here to read more!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Buy a 4x4 jeep and lift the body off the chassis. Take an astra shell, chop it up a bit hear and there, and drop it on your rolling stock chassis! Fit smaller wheels and hey presto a four wheel drive astra that handles like a landrover discovery.

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathan
    Yikes, I passed out after the second sentence

Un sure now, basically it wont work in an Astra Mk4 will it, unless i suffer and do it. But i want good performance you see so maybe i might go for it in the future. Maybe there could be another way round it?
    IT can be done, and has been. However it is a nasty job, and will cost ALOT of money. IMO too much, but hey, each to their own !

A mint 888 will set you back around 17-19k from what I have seen. There are afew GSi's 2nd hand for around 14k I think.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    From memory, the guy who owned the white GSi that Courtenay did lived in Jersey, where they have a 40 mph speed limit. I think he had the 290/270 conversion on it and wanted more traction off the mark. If the 4x4 transfer box lived up to its reputation he probably did go back to 2WD after lunching the 'box a few times.

If you wanted a cheaper option, I would go for a crash damaged Scooby and transplant it into a bare bones Astra shell. It can be done, there was a Focus in CCC a few months back which had been done like that by its owner and was going to be rallied.

Thanks to Scooby drivers general belief that they cannot crash an Impreza and the car will make it through every corner or over every hump in the road, there is a plentiful supply of mangled Subarus in the secondhand marketplace now

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast