Thread: dehandling

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

dehandling

i was thinki9ng of dehandling the back doors but i wanted to know if i dehandle it all over will it fails it mot cos of saftey reasons?

Status
    Club Chairman
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    no it wont fail its MOT you may fail the memory test though
    Been apart of the inner circle since 2001
    Click Me to Join Astra Owners Club Full or Lite Members

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ill always carryu a spare key around my neck if i get ot sorted...some guy told me u need to get dodgy mots done because if ur in a crash no one can get u out if its dehandled :? last time i listen to this guy

Status
    Club Chairman
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    there are ways around the MOT and other ways of entry into a car other than handles.

Ask your mate how TVR get away with making production cars without any door handles :roll:

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    one way round it (so an MOT inspector told me) is to wind the windows down for the MOT, therefore there is still a mechanical way of opening the door (put hand through window to interior handle )

:roll:

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sport16v
    one way round it (so an MOT inspector told me) is to wind the windows down for the MOT, therefore there is still a mechanical way of opening the door (put hand through window to interior handle )

:roll:
    thats now been changed m8

the updated testers manual now states that the FRONT doors of a vehicle must be able to be opened from their intended design.

meaning.......both designed handles must work as intended. that covers the TVr

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My understanding of the MOT regulations as they stand was that there must be a means of opening the door from the outside of the vehicle. Years (literally) ago you could do away with the handles and pop the doors off the remote control for the alarm. Now you need to be able to open the door from the outside, so TVR fitted a pushbutton under the mirrors on the Cerbera and so on. You unlock off the keyfob, then push the button under the mirror to pop the door.

I have seen a lot of cars which have been delocked in this way and unless the changes to the MOT are very recent these are OK with the MOT test (a lot of testers will turn a blind eye or be blatantly ignorant). If I'm not mistaken Mac16V has this mod on his car :?:

Find a friendly (or dumb) MOT station as well, I have got away with illegal numberplates, headlight lamps, side lights, side repeaters and red indicator lenses on my old car. Once I got my MOT certificate in my hand I pointed all the defects out to the tester and he said he'd spotted them but couldn't be arsed failing it for stuff which I would correct, but he knew I would change as soon as I got the car home again, so he saved me the hassle

Status
    Club Chairman
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I had no door handles on my car all you have to do is leave the windows down when you take it in for the MOT and it can not fail.

The MOT place I used is not dodgy and do not turn blind eyes, they are at blame by the police if there is a problem dont forget!!! Its a loop hole in the MOT rules that has been used by a lot of people for a long time!!

If you think about it yes you can get the alarm to pop the doors (like I did) yes you can use a button under your wing mirror, but if you have a crash and the battery or solenoid gets disconected then these wont help you any how as they are not mechanical means of entry.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MatG
    I had no door handles on my car all you have to do is leave the windows down when you take it in for the MOT and it can not fail.
    Sorry m8

I spent a day with VOSA the other week. The testers manual was upated to close that loop hole in june last year.

the idea is that emergency services can get you out when the cars on it's roof :shock:

Status
    Club Chairman
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    So why do TVR's still have cars with no handles???

If a TVR is on its Roof you are not going to get in by pushing the button under the wing mirror. TVR's fall apart and break just driving down the road let alone crashing and being on there roofs. So I bet the solenoid will not work to pop the doors.

There must still be a way around the MOT rule.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast