Thread: Mk4 1.4 16V owners...

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Mk4 1.4 16V owners...

Well, this is my first post in this 'new look' forum. Looking better and better... So hi to all the guys and gals here!

Anyway I've had my Astra for a while now and had lots of head ache (mainly vauxhall dealer who messed up the engine, cam belt broke, which still isnt fixed properly) but wanted to know if the other problems i find are to do with that or seperate

1. Not much torque at low revs in any gears (means you sorta gotta thrash it 24/7)

2. Flat spot in first gear

3. Headlights dim when ICE is on loud, but headlights also dim when i turn indicator on or even turn steering wheel!

4. Quite loud electrical whirring from outside the car when using power steering

Thanx in advance

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Mk4 1.4 16V owners...

Quote Originally Posted by MK4_16V
    1. Not much torque at low revs in any gears (means you sorta gotta thrash it 24/7)
    why do you HAVE to thrash it? you cant expect 1.4 astra to be particularly fast :?
    Previous Astras: 1994 Cesaro 1.8 16v | 2002 SXi 1.6 16v | 2001 Coupé 2.0 Turbo | 1999 LS 1.6 16v
    Other Vauxhalls: 2001 Vectra 1.8 16v| 2003 Vectra GSi 3.2 V6 | 2005 Signum CDTi 150

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i got a flat spot in my first gear cos i got 18" but humm..
    and yeh my power stearing whinnes too so 1.4 16v are like that :S
    Astramk4, Pumping 2.50 odd break 18", EBC, K&N, 7" Motorised screen, Pioneer setup.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Power Steering and Dim lights

Most power steering will make a noise under pressure, my mark 4 and mark 2 Astra's do. As for the dim lights thats a drain on the power most cars do that to, battery takes a lot of battering, heater fan on, lights etc.......

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hiya matey, i've got a 1.4 16v g, and have some of the same problems you have . . .

1. the headlights dim when turning the steering wheel, well only a little, this is due to the electric motor for the powersteering drawing current off the alternator / battery, i think all g's do this.

2. flat spot in 1st . .

i have this to, if you nail it from the lights it almost sort of stalls and then after about 1/2 a second or so it kicks you in the arse !! ****ing anoying, so when im racing now, i sit at 4k, when the lights change, slide the clutch a little until it just starts to roll, right fot to the deck and dump the clutch !!! only way i found to overcome this annoying problem !!

3. whiring noise . . . mine doesnt do this, well never heard it in the car, yours got A/C ?? my mums g has A/C and that make a whiring noise when turned on.

4. not much torque at low revs . . .yep mine is the same, only starts to really pull at about 2500, but when racin, i set off as above, change at 6k in every gear, this way it drops in the next gear at about 3500 - 4k, so its still pulling like a bitch !!

gonna put a lot of wear and tear on the engine, engine mounts, gearbox etc, but ah well, lifes a bitch and then you die . . :roll:
    If at first you don't succeed . . . . . . CHEAT !!!!!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanx for the replies guyz, seems all 1.4 16V's are like that and S7en, i didnt mean thrash it 24/7 but rather you have to keep it in a lower gear for a lot longer than you'd like to somethimes

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have a 1.4 16V mate.

At the end of the day it's a 16V and they like to be driven through the revs so don't really worry about that.

I dont have any problems with flat spots but try cleaning out your throttle body with some brake cleaner this might help.

I'm having fun with my car at the moment,one day it revs loud and noisey and feels sluggish.The next day it's sounds so deep and bassy like a scooby and fly's.

Wierd.

P.S This engine won't be in the car for long if i don't get rid of it.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    was just wondering about the flat spot in 1st gear. Couldn't this maybe be solved by an ECU update because you hear about superchips correct flatspots and deliver power all the way through the rev range.

Surerly if this is a problem for all 1.4 16v engines Vauxhall would have a update available to overcome this? Can you get updates for the chips from Vauxhall and if you can do they charge much?