Thread: Replacing standard speakers

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Replacing standard speakers

My mk4 is 3 door. Im looking at replacing the speakers in the front and back.

The fronts seem easy enough, Im gonna make up some adaptors from MDF for then to fit in place and the tweeters im gonna keep in the same place as the originals.

My question is can I replace the speakers in the back. I have looked and cant see any way of getting the rear panels off. I was maybe going to replace these with 6x9 JBL's that I've got. Then I was gonna buy 2 12' subs but at the mo I jus wanted to 6x9's to fit.

Any ideas how to take the panel off to get at the rear speakers??

Tony
    Sold my astra!!! Will be driving a BSM corsa soon!! Then a MK5 VXR Mmmmmm............

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi,

There are a few threads on this topic, but no definitive guide.

6.5" speakers will fit under the rear panel, however it's a ******* to remove. The rear seat cushion has to come out, then maybe the rear seats, then it can unclip from the bottom (usual white clips), then there are three big ******* clips along the window.

I only know this bit as the top was loose when I bought my car.

From the advice here it seems start with amping the front components.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Rear speakers

I did this last weekend, and it is a bugger to do.

You will need to remove the seat part of the rear seats, this simply unhooks (although it is a bit ackward). Then the rear seats can fold flat (remove the headrests).

Next along the door-edge of the panel you can get a lever under the weather strip and prise of the panel. There are three pop clips, one right at the top, one in the middle and one at the bottom. With these pop-studs undone you can pull the panel, slowly but firmly away from the body.

The three or four metal clips along the top are very hard to prise off, but they will pop eventually. If you are going to do this be prepared to break something! I broke one of my top platic strips. It snapped just before the last clip! Once thats undone you can peer over the top of the panel into the speaker area. You should be able to see the remaining pop-studs, use a screwdriver to get to them to pop them out of the body work. I found scissors to be good at this due to the ability to get one metal lever either side of the pop-studs!

With the studs un-popped, you can pull the panel down to allow access to the speaker mounts. You will need a special screwdriver to undo the speakers they are held in with TROX screws (look like stars). Halfords sell these for around £4. The speakers are held in with three screews, two at the top and one at the bottom. With a careful choice of speaker you should be able to get your new speakers in with no adaptor required.

I opted for the Kenwood 1768S, due to it having plenty of holes for mounting, I knew at least three of them would fit!

You may require a speaker terminal adaptor to turn the Vauxhall T-block into normal spade connectors. Again should be available from any ICE shop for around £3-£4.

My recommendation would be to us ea professional ICE installer. This service should be available from most ICE shops, including that family favourite Halfords!

Good luck.
    Astra Mk5 VXR
    Astra Mk4 SRi 2.2 16v

Vauxhall Sports Car Club, Regional Organiser - Northamptonshire

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sounds good to me mate thanks for the info. I may have to re-think tryin to squeeze me 6x9's behind the panel then!!

Might get a panel off and see what I can do with it. i gotta a couple of days spare, sound like I might meed it!!!

Tony
    Sold my astra!!! Will be driving a BSM corsa soon!! Then a MK5 VXR Mmmmmm............

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    There is a fair size 'void' to the side of the speaker hole. With some smart mdf work, you might just make it!

Look forward in seeing how you get on.
    Astra Mk5 VXR
    Astra Mk4 SRi 2.2 16v

Vauxhall Sports Car Club, Regional Organiser - Northamptonshire

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    sounds good mate, il have a look see if i cant squeeze em in.

thanks for all ya help

Tony

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Can someone get a pic of the side of the car with the panel removed? (from the inside) as i want to fit some 0ga wiring and some other cables through there without removing the panel...... and want to see how the hell i'm gonna fit it!!
    PLEASE!!! haha
    Aaron
    Opel/Vauxhall/Holden Astra SRi 2.2L
    For all your Car Audio Questions
    http://mig2.lathwood.co.uk/upload/n/nutter.jpg
    *I choose to reject your reality and substitute my own*

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i'll take some pics mate when i get the panel off.

prob wont be til after the weekend coz im working nights now!!