1. A princess is kidnapped by her cruel uncle, who has planned for her to marry one of his two sons. He gave her an unltimatum -
she was to make a solitary statement. If what she said was true, she was to marry her elder cousin, Johans the Vain, however,
if what she said was false, she was to marry the younger son, Derek the Dismal. What did the princess say which allowed her to remain a single girl?
2. Brian is 40, Paul is 13. How many years ago was Brian four times as old as Paul?
3. Take the letters ERGRO. Put three letters in front of it and the same three letters behind to form a common English word.
4. One Friday morning two trains speed along the same track through an empty railway station. One is heading north, the other south.
Neither train brakes, nor diverts to another track, yet they avoid a collision. How?
5. If a man's mother-in-law can marry his son, and a woman's father can marry his sister-in-law, can a man marry his widow's sister?
6. A snail crawls slowly up a garden wall 48cm high. If it crawls forward 8cm a day and slips back 3 cm each night,
how long will it take to reach the top of the wall?
7. Two fathers and two sons enter a shop and spend £1.50 each. The shopkeeper takes £4.50. What happened to the rest?
8. Two scrabble champions played five games of Scrabble. Each won and lost the same number of games and there were no draws.
How is this possible?
9. A carrot, a scarf and five buttons were found in a field. If nobody placed them there, how did they get there?
i'll post the answers up later, after you've pondered for a while