Thread: Hi to all!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hi to all!

Hi everyone, bought an Astra Coupe about a month ago and have only just found this site. Been on Migweb a little bit.

Anyway here's the car, what you think?

Also been looking through the forum and was shocked to find that these things only run 1/4 mile times in the 15's I was thinking they were more like mid 14's. Anyone know why they're so quick to 60 but not as impressive down the 1/4 mile?

What needs to be done to get it that bit quicker then? Been looking at Courtenay and Regal Phase upgrades, but it's going to be early next year before I get round do starting that route. In the meantime, what about filters etc and just small things that may help increase the bhp?

Finally, dump valves, where is the best place to get one from and are they easy to fit myself, or best left to the experts? Do they actually do anything performance wise? Personally, I just love the noise.

Cheers, sorry for all the questions!

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hi and welcome nice car

Mothers with teenagers know why animals eat their young

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i see that a lot of people get bailey dump valves I know they aint that expensive and I love the sound too! But I don't know how easy they are to fit?!

Nice car by the way

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hiya - love the car - it is sweet - nice colour too

Anyways back to the power side of things.
    Obviously a decent exhaust and filter will help a bit. There are plenty of peeps on here with different views on filters and exhausts. Just listen to what they say and make up your own mind.

Personally i have a 1.6 8v and a ramair filter - it seemed to work well but a lot of people here dont like them much.

Also, a dump valve will definately help with any turbo. You will have less of a lag waiting for the turbo to spin up between gear changes and also they are worth getting just for the sound.

Hope some of that helps.
    Skuzzle - Powered by Badgerbyte Web & IT Services

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Hi to all!

Quote Originally Posted by iball
    Hi everyone, bought an Astra Coupe about a month ago and have only just found this site. Been on Migweb a little bit.

Anyway here's the car, what you think?

Also been looking through the forum and was shocked to find that these things only run 1/4 mile times in the 15's I was thinking they were more like mid 14's. Anyone know why they're so quick to 60 but not as impressive down the 1/4 mile?

What needs to be done to get it that bit quicker then? Been looking at Courtenay and Regal Phase upgrades, but it's going to be early next year before I get round do starting that route. In the meantime, what about filters etc and just small things that may help increase the bhp?

Finally, dump valves, where is the best place to get one from and are they easy to fit myself, or best left to the experts? Do they actually do anything performance wise? Personally, I just love the noise.

Cheers, sorry for all the questions!
    Hi iball,

I sell Bailey dump values if you are after one , I sell them for £105.00 including fitting kit, which is pretty damn cheap and AS members get -5% on these as well . Have a look at the link in my sig and have a look at the products i do for the Astra coupe. Personnally i have a forge motorsport dump value fitted to my Astra Coupe Turbo and it has made a difference giving less lag between gear changes, bailey one if just as good but i wanted something different . You wouldn't notice the difference in the first 2-3 gears tho, but in 4-5 when you are testing the car you will notice less lag . Also with the standard dump valve the air is dumped back into the induction system which sounds cool, but you have to think at what temperture this air is because this air is passing through a hot turbo before being put back into the induction system.

Status
    The Sticker Queen
    Mentioned in
    35 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Hi iball

I'll leave your Q's to the experts, gorgeous car though!
    Welcome to AS
    MINXY BUTLER-HENDERSON

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyMinx
    Hi iball

I'll leave your Q's to the experts, gorgeous car though!
    Welcome to AS
    What i said about hot air being returned back into the induction system came straight from the mouth of the bailey guys. Yes they/I might be trying to sell a product but you also have to think about the truth of this comment , hot air being returned back into the indcution system sort of not help when you have to cool it again with the intercooler .

A dump valve in the end is there to make nice noises :P, it certainly wouldn't be worse than the standard dump valve in performance

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hello mate. I've recently bought a Coupé Turbo too and don't worry about the 1/4 mile times, they are not that bad! Standard I know they should be 15.6 but with just a Pipercross induction kit I managed to run a 15.22 @ 91mph at Santa Pod this sunday. The original airbox is very restrictive!

These cars shouldn't take much bother to get into the 14's. A Courtenay Stage 1 kit for £499 fully fitted should see you hitting high 14's already!
    - 2004 Vauxhall Zafira GSi - Silver, work in progress..
    - 2003 BMW 325ti M Sport - Silver, 18" CSL wheels in matt anthracite, Eibachs, Full red leather

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Doing early 15's is really good considering the power to weight ratio of the Astra coupes. With the phase kits you get really good power but the torque curve may make it hard to get a good launch hence the poor 1/4 times the i've seen with the phase kit guys. What has been the best 1/4 times for phase kitted cars?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the replies guys.

Man Chun, don't worry I am already sold on getting a dump valve, I figured it was going to be no worse than what the car already uses, wasn't sure if there were really any power gains, or if it was just for the noise. So is the bailey dump valve a piston type?

Does it replace the existing vauxhall bit of kit to prevent the hot air being dumped into the induction system? Is there any way too stop the existing unit from discharging into the induction system without buying a new dump valve? ie re-route some pipe? or will this cause more harm than good?

I was looking at the Regal Power pipe with the dump valve that fits onto it. With a view to early next year getting a Phase 1 upgrade.

I already have the Irmscher sports exhaust jobbie, not convinced it actually makes any difference power wise, but it came as part of the irmscher styling pack I wanted on the car, so thought why not!

I've never really been convinced by induction kits as my previous car performed much better with original air box and K&N panel filter than with the induction kit. I here that ther are air box modifications that can be made to the Turbo engines, anyone know what these are?

Hi Patrick, it's your fault I found this site, I read about you on MIGWeb and that's where I discovered the times for SQM for the Turbo. Apparently you were at Santa Pod recently? (apologies if I am getting confused!)

What were your launches like to get those times? It still baffels me that a car with a fairly rapid 0-60 (I think EVO magazine quoted 6.7 secs in the wet) that it struggles to get into the 14's. Oh well. Will have to see what I can do about it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast