Thread: Speed of indicator flashes problem

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Speed of indicator flashes problem

All the bulbs are working in my Astra, and I have even changed the relay for a known working one, but the speed of the indicators doesn't seem as fast as it should be (my girlfriend's mum has an Astra estate, and compared to the speed of indicator flashes on hers, mine is slow in comparison).

Could this be down to the indicator stalk and/or the hazard switch, or something completely different?

Please help, it feels like I'm driving an old Triumph or something with the slow speed of my indicator flashes! I know it's a bit of a trivial problem but still one I want to sort out, as it's doing my head in! :roll:

If I set my alarm off (Clifford Concept 300), the speed of the indicator flashes is like mega fast (as it should be), and also when I arm/disarm it, so it must be something to do with the indicator stalk/hazards or related wiring I think. The problem was there before the alarm was installed so I know that's not the cause of the problem...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It could be a 'slow' flasher relay, but most are electronic nowadays. The old thing with flashers was that they flashed faster when bulbs blew. My car has LED side repeaters and seems OK, so I am sure it is either the flasher relay/multitimer. It definitely won't be the indicator stalk switch, as that is all it is, a switch

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    So do you reckon I might have a 'slow flash' relay then? As the writing on the original relay, and the second-hand one I got was both the same on the relay.

I reckon I'll have to ask my girlfriend's mum nicely if I can snoop around her fuse box! LOL!

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    isnt there two seperate units involved in the indicator flashing? theres the relay, and seperate to that theres the multi-timer unit you refer to? i think....... maybe its the timer unit that's busted and not the relay...

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Multi timer unit...?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    There are two relays on the Astra MK4, one for the left and one for the right hand indicator circuits. I fished out the diagrams for the flasher circuit and it is controlled by the Multitimer, as I thought. Basically, to reduce wiring, weight and cost, modern cars do away with having individual timer relays for intermittent wipers, indicators, heated screen timing, central locking pulses etc. They use one module, which does all the timing functions. Looking at the diagram and the fact that you have already changed the indicator relay it may well be a faulty multi timer. Have you had any other problems which might relate to this unit?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    the multi timer unit is a black module that plugs into the right hand side of the fuse box. it is this which controls the rate at which the indicators flash, and also things such as the time for which the heated rear window & mirrors are switched on, and when the wipers wipe on intermitent settings etc.

the multi timer is a seperate unit to the two relays which are used to switch the direction indicator lights on and off (one for left, one for right).

if your certain that your indicators don't flash at the right speed, try swapping the multi timer for one you believe works.....

hope this info is of use to you.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Is it the same thing on the mk3 Astra (which is what I have)?

I'm not sure if this is related or not, but my wipers seem a bit slow as well, it's like I have a flat battery or something!

(BTW the battery I bought from Vauxhall brand new a few months ago when I got the car, and the slow indicators/wipers problem occured with the old battery too)

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I don't know about the MK3, but this system was on the older Omegas, so I would presume so. With the wipers do you mean the speed or the intermittent wipe time?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The actual speed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast