Thread: leds, as sidelights?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

leds, as sidelights?

well i imagine this has been queried before but i couldn't find a post on it...so.....is there a direct replacement led to go straight into the astra g front sidelights which is nice and bright, i bought some from town today and when fitted they looked great from the top, but from the front of the car they gave out far less light than a standard sidelight bulb does, which is of no use cos i would very likely be stopped by the police for this
    if anyone has a led bulb they use which fits the criteria above can they post a pic of them and a description of what they are and costs etc and of course where they got them from too

cheers guys n gals.....

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Which ones did you get? - I now have the PIAA white/white ones. They're OK, but I agree they are not like a 501.

I got both the ones that Speeding.co.uk sell, the opaque ones are crap and the ultra bright (ones with 4 leds) are a bit better only... so I put them in my interior light.

I'm going to use the mounts from the opaque ones to make ones with 3/4 5mm white LED's, that should do the trick!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The LEDs are actually bright as the original bulbs, I use the 4x3mm ones as siderepeater bulbs and they are fine. The trouble is that the LEDs in the side light position don't illuminate the whole of the light unit like a 501.

I have fitted a triple 5mm LED conversion in Griff & Nuttynovas cars' (haven't got round to doing my own yet!) and these are brighter, because they have a wider range than a 3mm and also my conversion sits deeper than the off-the-shelf LED bulbs, so they illuminate the reflective areas better. Griff? Nuttynovas? Got any pics??

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

led info

the ones i got sound very similar to yours adamuk, i got the 4 x 3mm ultra white ones made by a company called Trillogy ltd they are marketed under the savage car styling brand name, they look really good from the top, but thats not really any good as you already know... :?

i contacted the place i got them, and explained my opinions on them, they checked out some display ones and agreed with me, so they are taking them back off me and looking into some others if available.....so i will keep you informed
    what are these piaa ones you have? where are they from? and costs? who sells them?

sorry for all the questions but i would like to try these....
    cheers again folks....

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I got mine from Demon Tweeks Les, they are similar in that a lot of the light comes out the top (clear LEDs have a lens effect) but have a clear plastic moulding round the 2 LEDs. They're OK, but need to be modded maybe.

Steve has the right idea - 3x5mm will be much better. If I manage to make some I'll get some pics together.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adamduk
    they are not like a 501.
    A whhhhaaat?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    501 = wedge bulb

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Brought some of them Blue 501's from Halfords, supposed to have a bluey white glow....aint seen it yet....and yes ive looked in the dark!! hehe...anybody else tried them?
    Richie Rich - The Resident P.I.M.P
    "Pimp-Izzle-Fizzle"
    Arden Blue MK4 GSi Turbo

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yes - they're sh1te!

Try the philips blue vision ones, they are more white/blue than yellow, but not the same colour as LED's. I got a pair free with my Blue Vision Ultra 4000k from powerbulbs.com

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cheers Ad, will take a look at them....these are defo brighter than the originals i had in there...but not quite what i was looking for.
    Richie Rich - The Resident P.I.M.P
    "Pimp-Izzle-Fizzle"
    Arden Blue MK4 GSi Turbo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast