Thread: 'How to' remove the orange diffuser from your MFD (Mk4) v.2

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

'How to' remove the orange diffuser from your MFD (Mk4) v.2

Astra-Sport Disclaimer - Please note that this is a guide only and Astra-Sport take NO responsibility for any damaged caused to yourself or vehicle whilst using this guide. If you are unsure how to do something leave it to the professionals. Your Insurance and warranty might be invalidated if this modification is done.

Thanks To SmellyTofu for the 'How-To' :

'How to' remove the orange diffuser from your MFD (Mk4 Post MY02)

NOTE: This mod is for all Astra built post-Oct 2001 inclusively. You will need the white diffuser from a pre '02 spec Astra to be able to do this modification. Otherwise this will be quite a useless exercise. This "how to" will start assuming you have your MFD (Multi Function Display) removed from the car. Also this is a cheaper way than using LEDs as a form of changing the colour of the MFD by using plastic sleeves over the 2x12V/2W bulb which lights this unit up.

Procedure:
    - Observe the plastic tabs that need to be lifted on both sides.

- Now compress the clips holding the MFD to the front black casing.

- VERY CAREFULLY lift up the tab holding the LCD screen. Damage to the connections will result in missing letters from the screen!!!

- The rubber seal may also stick to the LCD so be careful and slowly pry that off the LCD screen.

- Now you can see the orange diffuser. There are tabs on both sides that you need to lift up and also in the middle where it also held the LCD.

Note that the bulbs & white diffuser itself are not shown but is the same shape as the orange diffuser in the picture, only it is white.

- Installation is the reversal of this procedure.

* Apologies for not making the first version clear enough

Result: (With green sleeve over the bulb)

* Special thanks for Ashley2001 for the donation of this broken MFD shown

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    and removing this does what????

Any pics??

You said you needed a MFD from a PRE 02 astra! But I dont see any bulbs, I have a PRE 02 astra, and I have two bulbs, do you mean a POST 02 astra???

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Lotus, the post 02 spec has an orange diffuser as shown... the pre 02 has a white one... but when I did this "how to" I already installed it on my car and I had green sleeves that go over the bulb. Hence the reason why I never showed the white diffuser.

I will post a pic of the green MFD tomorrow to show you the effect as you can't change the colour easily on the orange diffuser. Getting late here....

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    So have I got a white diffuser with orange bulbs????

Mine G is 1999!

So if I wanted bright green, or blue, i'd get clear bulbs and a blue diffuser, or do i have an orange diffuser????
    :?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    so I've got a 2003 astra, that means I have a orange diffuser, which also means if I put in green LEDs they will shine, greeny/orange?!

if so, where do I get this white diffuser or any other colour? vaux sell them?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lotus astra
    So have I got a white diffuser with orange bulbs????

Mine G is 1999!

So if I wanted bright green, or blue, i'd get clear bulbs and a blue diffuser, or do i have an orange diffuser????
    :?
    The white diffuser on the came about pre Oct 01 built Astra (whien the 02 spec started building) so yes you have a white diffuser and don't need to do this mod. However, the orange in them comes from the bulb itself. Anything to do with lighting that has no plastic sleeves which covers over the bulb will make white turn into a light orange colour. By having either something like a coloured cellophane fitted between the LCD and the diffuser, some plastic sleeves over the bulb or cellophane placed the area between the bulbs and the back of the white diffuser can get your effects.

Quote Originally Posted by adamSXi
    so I've got a 2003 astra, that means I have a orange diffuser, which also means if I put in green LEDs they will shine, greeny/orange?!

if so, where do I get this white diffuser or any other colour? vaux sell them?
    Adam, yes that's correct. Buying blue LED will not give you the really blue effects that you see on the Bluetacho site. You need that orange diffuser removed and put in there the white one which the bluetacho site never mentions you. Go to a wrecking yard and find one... it doesn't matter if the MFD unit is working or not because all you're after is the diffuser and then put that into your current MFD.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Pic posted with the green sleeves over the bulb.

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Have you got the PRE and POST descriptions mixed?

I'm sure my car has the orange diffuser - and clear bulbs - as I have changed the bulbs to blue and cant see it in daylight.

I would have thought you meant a NEWER than '02 reg car has coloured bulbs and a clear diffuser

and an OLDER than 02 reg car has orange film and clear bulbs.

Am I right? or just confused
    why do today what you can...... I'll finish this later

2958cc was 175BHP @ 4000rpm, 370Nm (273lb.ft.) @ 1900rpm NOW 230BHP/469Nm (344.9lb/ft)!! www.IUsedToOwnTwoAstras.com

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    can we not talk english here and say for instance

1998 - 2002 clear difuser
    2002 - onwards orange difusser

or is it the othre way round, im well confused

Status
    Banned