Thread: HOW TO - Stealth shelf

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

HOW TO - Stealth shelf

Done some quick instructions on how to build a stealth shelf so if anyone wants to give it a try here they are
    Ibiza FR CR TDI with 203 BHP

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Astra-Sport Disclaimer - Please note that this is a guide only and Astra-Sport take NO responsibility for any damaged caused to yourself or vehicle whilst using this guide. If you are unsure how to do something leave it to the professionals. Your Insurance and warranty might be invalidated if this modification is done.

Thanks To A16VCY for the 'How-To'

HOW TO BUILD A STEALTH SHELF

You will need a sheet of MDF from B+Q. This will cost you between £12 - £18. The sheet will be about 4ft x 8ft. You will need to prob cut it in half to fit it into the car. Buy the 1/4 inch thick stuff

Take one of the sheets and place the parcel shelf on top of it. Make sure it all fits on and then draw around it with a pencil. This will give you the shape of the top part which will look like your shelf. Cut this out and check for size by placing it into the car. Once ok set this aside for the now

Next take the second sheet and mark the speaker holes. Remember the speakers will be attached from underneath and not sitting in from the top. This wont affect the sound. After that draw a rectangle with the speaker holes centerd with in it. This rectangle will be slightly larger than the speaker holes front to back but will be exactly the size of the boot mountings. When i say boot mountings i mean the parts at the side where the original shelf sits when the boot is shut.
    ( see shitty diagram below)

This size will be the width of the rectangle (which should look like this

The next step is to cut out a rectangle on the parcel shelf shaped piece. What to do is centre the speaker piece on top of it and draw around it. Then cut this shape out but about an inch within the lines. Next you will need to screw the two pieces together. The shelf shaped part goes on top with the rectangle underneath. (like so)

Use proper wood screws and counter sink them. Also try to use small screws just smaller than the thickness of the wood as you dont want and sharp points sticking out the shelf

Next once you have checked the fit you will need some big screws. These go into the corners where your shelf clips into the bit in your car. You can use these or do what i did and use dowling, but this can be tricky. This stops the shelf from coming through and de-capetating you when you brake hard.

After you are happy with the fit you will need to glue on the carpet. You will get this from any car accessory shop or your local maplin. You will need this and spray glue. Try and get carpet as similar to the colour of your shelf as possible as thieves notice this.

Spray both the wood and the carpet and leave to settle for a moment or two. Place the carpet on the floor (obviously glue side up) and get some mates to hold the corners. Then gently place the shelf face down onto the carpet and fold the corners over and staple them for extra strength. Leave to dry for a while and then trim off ant excess carpet.

Next screw on the speakers from underneath. (see pic)

And that should be you. Any questions just ask

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    have you got any pics of a finished shelf ?????
    If at first you don't succeed . . . . . . CHEAT !!!!!

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    No as i dont use them my self. I used to have loads of sounds in my fiesta with a stealth shelf but its all just a bit wet now why do you want pics?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    just to see what it will look like when fitted.
    If at first you don't succeed . . . . . . CHEAT !!!!!

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well it should look just like a normal shelf from the out side,if done right

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Forgive me but my undestanding was that a "stealth" shelf looked exactly the same as the original from the outside with the bumps etc in the same place..... little thieving tom tits will know it's not genuine if its flat!
    Midnight Black 1.6 16v SXi

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Belive me when it is sitting in and if you get simmilar colour of cloth you wont know the difference

Also when the section is cut out on the top part and you glue it this will take the shape of the in-dent on the original shelf

Also most theiving scum bags a junkies who smash and grab when the see them, so no-see no-steel

Any more critics?

Status
    Banned
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah, what were you doing in a bloody fiesta ???

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I had a zetec-s for two years before my astra

I did like it but the build quality was very poor

And it didnt float

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast