Thread: Feeling a bit depressed

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Feeling a bit depressed

I've been round a few dealers looking at Sxi's. One of the major dealers has pre-reg 03 plates at a great price - £9300 approx.

I'm going to be trading in my Fiat Punto (my first ever car). It's an 2000 X reg, has only done 19,000 miles and was in excellent nick appart from some scratches on the drivers door. I'd been quoted extortionate prices at bodyshops for a respray of the door, but managed to get a friend of a friend to do it at mates rates. He did the job and I was happy with it - it looked good.

Got the motor valued tonight and the dealer said he'd only give me £2800 because he noticed "the poor spray job on the door". I got him up to £3000. This, together with my deposit, and the great Astra price means my new monthly payments on the Sxi would be within my budget. Thing is I feel really deflated that he thinks my car is only worth a measly £2800. I bought it new and have really looked after it and yet it now seems that it's almost worthless. I'm positive it's worth more.

Anybody think I'm being sentimental or is this part of the norm. (Still haven't signed any deal for the G. Don't know whether to look elsewhere.)

Sorry to bore you all.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Dealers are renowned for ripping people off when they trade in their cars. You should have sold it privately, then you would have got nearer a price you were after. Keep that in mind in future. Sell the car privately, and use the money as a deposit on your new car at a dealer.

There are tricks to the trade when you come to use your old car as a deposit on a new car. It's worth researching the subject more so you don't get ripped off. If they sense you don't know your stuff, they will rip you off big time. They will see you coming a mile off.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cheers Raven.

However, can't sell it privately as it has outstanding finance. But hey, I still have my car and I haven't signed anything.

If I'm still interested I've to give him a bell. Do you think at this stage it's worth me saying I want a bit more for my motor, or should I try to find another dealer further afield (all the other nearby dealers are clean out of pre reg's).

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    you got £2800?!! for a X reg 2000 Punto?!?!?!? wtf!

oh man thats extortion! I bet you see it on the forecourt next week for at least 5000! (wot a bonus he's gonna get this month)

However, if your gonna pay the astra on finance, it may be better looking at a loan and paying off the punto for a private sale then using the rest of the loan to buy the astra. you'll probably get a better apr rate than vaux garage can offer, I think I'm paying about 14% on my vaux finance deal :?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Haven't signed anything. Still got my Punto. I may be disappointed, but I ain't a gulla-bull.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Did the Punto have negative equity? If so, that would have stood against you for getting a low valuation for it too. Also the workmanship to the door would have been taken into account. That means a price quoted which could come across as an insult.

Unfortunately, with negative equity, there is not much you can do in regards to haggling.

So in effect, if this is the case, I think you may have got a good price for it in the end. £2800, haggled to £3000 is pretty good in this situation. You would have got a lot more if the car didn't have outstanding finance. Something to remember in future. Keep your new car until you are out of the negative, then you will not be pinched so bad when you come to trade it in again for another car.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    By negative equity do you mean have I paid less than half? I've paid more than half. My settlement figure with First National is £2690. (32 payments out of 60, I think).

I just had a look at Glass's Consumer Values. It says:

Punto ELX 1.2 2000 X. Average Condition (which I suppose it is because of the door) - £3170.

I think I may just be getting sentimental.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    is that really the price punto's go for, aint they around the 9grand mark new? (maybe not that model though :? , is it the new style or old)

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It's the new shape. Body coloured bumpers, leccy windows yadda yadda yadda. Fiat's must depreciate rapidly. When I got it in 2000 they were at the 9 grand mark (with 0% finance deals).

However you can get a brand new Punto these days for about £5995, which I suppose goes that bit more towards justifying £3000 for trade in.

Never buy a fiat (as if you would ). LMFAO.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    By negative equity, it means you still owe more then what the car is worth. You have the value of the car, and anything more then that is negative equity.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast