Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mk4 Centre console / which primer ??

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Mk4 Centre console / which primer ??

Been spraying up my interior to match my bodywork and the problem i got to is the centre console.

I know loads of people jus been buying the one's already silver with the larger screen holes etc but I thought id aim for an exact colour match.

Anyways, everything went fine till i came to that part. (even sprayed a bit of my rear bumper and my wing mirror - still looks pro)

Anyways the paint just doesnt seem to like the centre console.

I used the plastic primer that i used on everything else (which looked fine)

Then I proceded with the paint and it bubbled up.

So i then rubbed it down for another go and got the same result.

Infact I tried 3 times with the same problem and then after that it was rubbed down so much I fond the console to be made from layers of rubbery type stuff that you can peel off quite easy.

Anyway, now its beyond repair (due to these layers) and I was wondering (after purchasing a fresh one for a new attempt) what primer to try as the plastic primer is most likely the biggest problem.

Any ideas guys ?? - If not i'll have another go with plastic primer but maybe just take a lot longer and build up few layers of primer instead of just a couple.

Cheers in advance (and pics when its finished)

The rest i.e bit under handbrake and around gear stick and also ashtray section already looks spot on - couldn't have asked for it to come out any better.
    Skuzzle - Powered by Badgerbyte Web & IT Services

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You might find that there was silicone from a dash polish on the centre console bit, which has reacted with the spray paint. I've used high build primer on interior trim to good effect (the yellow stuff, you can get it in Halfords in spray cans), if fills in the texture on the trim, so that you get a smooth gloss finish

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ahh right, i wanna keep the bobbled effect though so what else would you recommend ??

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    make sure the trim is clean first using meths, and remember to be patient (easier said than done :? ), use the plastic primer but dont spray too much at once, it's best to use more very light coats than a few heavier ones. Make sure that each layer is completely dry before doing the next.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    well i think the only thing i need to change is my cleaning method.
    I just used water - lol

also, does it need a slight rub down i.e. keying ??

I dont think it should as it seems rough enough anyway. But any ideas on that ??

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You should rub down the plastic then apply the primers and then rub down after ever coat of primer, i've always found 5-8 coats of primer as a good base. As said above do thinner coats rather than thicker coats.

Take your time. What I used to do was get a spare one then do one coat a day that way you are allowing the paint to harden more. Sounds long winded but I got great results from it.
    Cant Think of Anything Funny To Say

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    cool - cause i got a spare the 1 in my car now looks awful but the one in my room looks fresh and good to go -lol
    Cheers for the help guys.

Pics will be available soon im sure - lol

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    just to let you know, interior sraying is complete - pics will be available tomorrow (i hope)

Just awaiting a gear knob and handbrake handle.

But as they arent customs then there is no need to worry with those missing from the photos

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Looking forward to seeing them...

Does anyone know if the Irmscher Center console trims need the console to be 'cut' above the audio hole? I had one fitted to my previous company SRi by a dealer. How do they apply - glue / pins?

Also does anyone know how good these - are: http://dcp-shop.co.uk/catalog/produc...oducts_id=4234.

Will be looking to mod the interior of my sport!

Cheers all.[/url]

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    know I said this before but...

all I did with mine was to rub it down then use standard primer/paint/lacquer. Worked a treat. Covered completely fine, but it's not a smooth-to-the-touch finish, but in a way I quite like it. Can't dust it easily - but that what they invented hoovers for!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast