Thread: Dash Lights, help!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Dash Lights, help!

I noticed the other day that half my dash leds, as in the heater controls etc, have stopped working! This isn't a major problem, but its a pain in the arse! So, in true modding style, i want to swap em completely for some blue ones.

Now, obviously ill have to change all of em. So my queston is, how easy a job is it? Can i do it myself? I don't wanna start it unless i know ill be able to carry it off successfully, as i need my car everyday so it can't take days if possible!

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Ive just ordered a set of the Blue LED's from the link in the astra shop. They are easy to change, the centre console is a bit fiddly, but the ones for the rev counter etc, are easy. Lower the reach and rake and then remove the 4 screws and slide the complete unit out.

Has any1 done a how 2 on this, if not I'll do it when I get the bulbs through.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If they've all stopped working at once might it be possible that its a fuse or something ? It seems a little unlikely that all the bulbs would have stopped at once unless there is some more serious underlying problem.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Its weird because i had another look last night and it seems that its mainly the heater controls that have suffered, but on one side. I did think fuse, but tsurely if it was indeed a fuse then all of em would go? Ive decided to go for some blue LED's, but i have no reach and rake in my steering colum, so how do i get to the ones behind the dials? If Vauxhall are gonna have to do it then im abandonin the whole idea, cos itll cos a fortune, and i want sum 18's next month too so, if anybody could help me out itd be much appreciated. A 'how to' guide would be great!
    Cheers. Matt

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ‘How too’ for replacing dash and centre console bulbs for LED’S?

Time needed; allow 3 hours.

Tools needed; 8 x LED’s in Osram holders 1 x Single LED without holder,
    Long nosed pliers, Star head screwdriver, large and small headed screwdriver, and Patience!!

1. Use the small headed screwdriver to remove the small panel in between the gear gaiter and the ashtry.Slide the screwdriver down the side and just lift it out.

2. Open the ashtry, take out the inside sleeve. Remove the lighter surround. It (just clicks out) Next pull down the flap at the top to reveal the 4 screws. Remove these and putt in a safe place. The whole ashtray and surround will now pull out, be careful!! It is attached on the left of the lighter surround and should ease out. It should now be hanging out with the wires attached to the back of the lighter.

3. Disconect both wires. The smaller connection holds the Bulb for the lighter surround, pull it out and replace with the single LED. Make sure you turn on your lights to make sure it works before you continue.

4. Next you must take out any head unit and the cage it’s in. You will see 2 screws inside the opening that are holding on the centre console, remove these carefully. Make sure they don’t drop down!

5. Now is the time to remove the console. Hold on to the bottom and slightly pull it towards you. Get the large headed screwdriver and slide it between the console and the dash just above and to the left of the MFD display.DONT’ force it in, just try and make a small gap and get it in. As you ease the console upwards try and prise the console away using the screwdriver it should give way and release itself.

6. Disconect the large connector behind the MFD display. It is a held in place with a clip that looks like a mouse trap. You will understand when you come to it : )

7. You will now see all the wires for the Heater controls and the Hazard light. There is not much room to work here so just take your time.Dissconect the large yellow connector first, press down the small clip on the top and it should release it. Next you will have to remove the wires from there plastic holes in the heater control arms. Use your long nose pliers to un-hook them out of the holes. The wires are inside rubber sleeves which have plastic clips on them, these are clipped into small holders on the console(you will see what I mean when you get there).Take the plastic clips out of there holders and all you should have now is the last small connector and the hazard switch.

8. Disconect the small black connector. The front of the hazard switch should
    Pop out using the small headed screwdriver. Switch the lights on and prise it off from underneath. Turn it off, the whole connector should now come out with a bit of encouragement.

9. Now you have access the the back of the Centre console!! First you can change the bulbs in the MFD display using the long nose pliers. Take it easy and try not to rush. REMEMBER THE LED’S ONLY WORK ONE WAY!! It is a 50/50 chance of them working the first time. After you put them in reconnect the clock and turn on your lights to make sure they work. If they don’t remove the connector twist the holder 180 degrees and try again.Taadaaa!!!! This is what all the work is for. Trick lights: )

10. Now change the 2 bulbs in the heater controls. Same as before, plug in the large yellow connector and see if they work. If not twist and they will work.PLEASE make sure you know they are all working before you start putting it all back together.

11. Now is the hard part! Putting it all back together again. First reconnect the MFD display and the Hazard switch. Then the large yellow connector for the Heater controls. This is the tricky bit. Try putting the car into 1’st gear and take off the Handbrake
    , this will help you lie down so you can see the underneath of the console better. Have you long nose pliers ready. Start by the end wires farthest away from you. Using the pliers grab the wires about 1 inch from the end and hook them back into there holes in the plastic arms. You will know which wire goes into which hole as there is not much give in them. One is a wire and one has a barrel shape on the end that just sits in a holder. When you have the wires in the holes the rubber sleeves need to go back in the clips. Put the barrel one into the clip first by sliding it in. Then the other sleeve clips in on top of it. Both clips in the one holder. Next do the other wire and clip its sleeve into the holder.

12. The rest is now a reversal of the removal: ) just put the screws, headunit and ashtray back in.

13. Enjoy!!

Any problem please mails me.

ALAN MK4

I've been informed that some bits may be a bit over the top! ie the big screwdriver bit...

But this is the wat i did it and i've tried to explain it as best possible

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ‘How too’ for replacing Speedo and milometer bulbs with LED’S

Time needed; 1 hour at most.

Tools needed; Long nose pliers, small head screwdriver, Star head screwdriver. Small cloth.

1. Turn the steering wheel to the left so you can get to the 2 plastic blanking grommets in the Speedo surround. Remove them with a small screwdriver, Remove the 2 screws and place them somewhere safe. Then remove the 2 screws in the top of the surround. The surround will now ease out. Take your time and it will come out in its own way. Try pushing in the bottom part and pull the top bit towards you. It has small clips on the top which might stop it from coming out of the whole. The Speedo surround is pretty flexible so it will come eventually. Next you will see the white lever that holds in the clocks. Just turn the lever to the left and the clocks will release themselves in one unit. Easy!

2. Now just replace the 4 bulbs with the LED’S and put the clocks back in. Any which do not work take out the clocks twist the bulb holder 180 degrees and they will now work.
    Wipe the plastic of the clocks with the cloth to remove ant grease.

3. Now put it back together again and enjoy: )

ALAN MK4

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    do we have any pics? (after it was done)

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Cig Lighter Question

Sorry wrong thread