Thread: MK4 2.0 Diesel EMU light comes on

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

MK4 2.0 Diesel EMU light comes on

:shock: Just recently the engine management light has started to come on usually when I am doing about 40 but not all the time, if I accelerate to about 2500rpm and get above 50 it goes out and can stay out even when I get down to about 40 again !, its an Auto gearbox.

It can go several days without showing ?, not sure if its related but this morning she did not wanna start it took about 6 turn overs to get her up, then she was fine all day !.
    Cheers......Reg

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Have you checked engine oil level?

The 2.0 Diesels must go through loads of Air Mass Meters in there life, must replace a good few a day at work, best bet is to run it to your local Vauxhall dealer, get a Tech-02 diagnostic report and then go from there.

My moneys on the Air Mass, but check your engine oil... 1 litre per 1000 miles on the diesel.
    Regards
    Rich C

Former owner of Astra SXi.. New owner of a Satin Silver Civic Type R.. "Bye Bye GTi"!!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: MK4 2.0 Diesel EMU light comes on

Quote Originally Posted by Radio
    :It can go several days without showing ?, not sure if its related but this morning she did not wanna start it took about 6 turn overs to get her up, then she was fine all day !.
    Does the light come on from a cold start? Could be glow plugs with poor starting, or diesel injector leak off pipes, overtime they deteriate and seep air and the car will turn over and turn over for ages from cold, once the cars warm it'll start fine.
    Regards
    Rich C

Former owner of Astra SXi.. New owner of a Satin Silver Civic Type R.. "Bye Bye GTi"!!

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    if not AMM check some of the air flow/mixture sensors (not AMM unit)faulty oxygen sensors quite common,agree that`s TECH 2 job
    thought the AMM fault was fixed aug2000 (my2001)vehicles onwards.
    if vehicle`s been reprogrammed/chipped/ECU modded may require reduction in some programme values .good luck !!!
    Serie C1 ,non grazie !!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cheers guys, well Rich, in the last couple of days the damm thing suddenly decided it aint gonna start on first turn, nope it takes maybe 6-8 turns with me flooring the gas pedal till she fires !!, although I noticed it may fire on the first turn but runs for a few secs b4 cutting out !! I am gonna get my mech mate to check wot the emu says as u say maybe sensors, oild level checks out fine, perhaps a fuel filter prob on startin ??.
    Cheers......Reg

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    forgot to say no the emu lite does not appear on starting or just after, its usually has to be warm for that 2 happen. ops:
    Cheers......Reg

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    "Could be glow plugs with poor starting, or diesel injector leak off pipes, overtime they deteriate and seep air"

Rich this problem with the air pipe, is easy to sort ?
    Cheers......Reg

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: MK4 2.0 Diesel EMU light comes on

Just recently the engine management light has started to come on usually when I am doing about 40 but not all the time, if I accelerate to about 2500rpm and get above 50 it goes out and can stay out even when I get down to about 40 again !, its an Auto gearbox.

that's exactly what my other car - Zafira 2.0dti used to do,the problem was the air-flow sensor situated between air box and manifold.Luckily I had it replaced on warranty as it's a common fault on the 2.0 otherwise it was going to cost about £100 to replace! If the light comes on what you have to do is to turn the ignition off and restart the engine again - that will reset the ECU and everything will come back to normal - for a few days!