Thread: Brake upgrade

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Brake upgrade

Would Vectra GSi brakes fit a 5 stud MK4 Astra??? They should, I think, but would like to double check!!
    ShaanK. BMW E92 335i Msport and BMW E83 2.5i X3

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Add d dave on Facebook
    I cant really see why they wont.
    Scottish Member? Have a peep at our Region For tints or wraps Click Here!!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Rule of thumb here, but all 4 stud Vauxhall FWD disc & caliper combinations fit all the FWD hubs and caliper mounting points. And the same applies for 5 bolt as far I can make out. You need the exact pair off the car though, don't try and mix and match, as there are variations. The brake caliper on mine is visually the same as a V6 Vectra and the discs seem to share the same part number

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yeah i thought that. Some guy on MIG is selling his GSi brakes for 40 notes... seemed like a good idea!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Those were 288mm conversion, you want the turbo/GSi set up that is 308mm.
    Cant Think of Anything Funny To Say

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yeah I thought they were 288mm, I think mine are 240 ( approx ) just now, can't remember off the top of my head. Basically I need new pads anyway, and this seemed like a fair deal for decent front brakes too.

308mm ones are a lot more expensive than 40 notes though!?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    For £40 that is a very good price. Ive got the 308mm grooved ones on mine with standard calipers and fast road pads and it stops quicker than anything I know, obviously not upto 4/6pots but still a massive improvement and no fade at all.

Give courtenay a call they will tell you what fits on what and how to go about it. I know the V6 calipers off the vectra fit straight on as courtenay sell them for £100.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've been told by my parts manager, that if you want to move from an 2.0 sri (ie 288mm disc) to a Gsi (308mm Disc) it can be done, but you would have to buy new hubs as the caliper mounts differ slightly! There is a spacer kit available from Courtenay, (but these can, under stress cause damage) I need new hubs on mine anyway, as i'm getting that shitty abs TC light on all the time!!!

Thats proper BO! I telt thee!!!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Lotus Astra what do you know about the kit from courtenay causing damage as they didnt tell me anything when I ordered the kit for mine?

Also I get the TC and ABS lights on mine all the time, what causes that and what needs to be done to stop them?

Cheers

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I cant really comment as to the affects of the caliper spacer, as its not fair! Most people get on fine with them, all i'm saying is that your original caliper brackets are machined to the hub, with the spacer kit, your adding what is to be seen as a flimsy bit of metal between hub and caliper!

Do you know how much force there is from a caliper at full chat!! Its enough to crush a skull....whereas before, that stress (from emergency braking especially) was being placed throught the hub, it is now placed on a thin bit of metal! This can and has caused serious failure, including sheered off calipers, etc! However, I have been led to believe that the courtenay item is very good, I just wouldnt risk it personally, BUT contraty to popular belief, IT IS NOT ENDORSED BY VAUXHALL AND THEY WILL NOT FIT THEM!

ABS and TC light means one of the sensors is faulty, usually a front wheel where a build up of dirt and poo have caused it to malfunction! Unfortunately, the only remedy is to get Vaux to do a Tech 2 to find which wheel has the faulty sensor. The sensor is built into the hub, therefore requiring a new hub. If the other one should go within a year, both hub assemblies have the same part number, so just claim under warranty for the other wheel!!! A sort of Buy 1 Get 1 Free!!!

HTH

Mark

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast