Thread: Brake Pads - G w/ ABS

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Brake Pads - G w/ ABS

I'm after a normal pad but the local (Australian) disc makers don't recommend EBC green stuff to be used as it hasn't given them a good results before. Who has had experience in other brakes of pads (and sell over the net) that doesn't dust like the stock pads do.

Also who makes the stock pads? Lucas?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    EBC should work even better in Auz due to them working best at heat, they are a good pad and i know peeps who use them even on classic cars.
    Cant Think of Anything Funny To Say

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    In my experience the EBC Greenstuff run too hot for conventional standard discs, if driven hard (which is the only reason I can see for fitting upgraded pads). I think this is due to the kevlar content, so they don't fade, but push too much heat into the discs. My old car ended up with blued discs, which I had to replace. EBC are supposed to dust up the wheels less, but I never saw this on mine. I would stick with something decent like Lucas or Ferodo, or even a Mintex road pad if you have a little more cash. EBC have had some great reviews for the gooved/drilled disc & pad combinations, so if you want to both at the same time then they would be a good choice

The other option is the OEM GM standard pads, We've run these on my wifes Corsa, which had Astra GSi front brakes & discs and they never faded even when I tried to kill them. These were the cheapest pads I could find locally as well!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The thing is that there's no local manufacturer (namely Bendix) that makes pads for the ABS model. So the green stuff would have the same problem as the normal road EBC since that's got Kevlar in it as well? I'm not after super duper high temp braking ability on the track as I spend more time putting around in the city anyway.

I spoke further with the local disc makers and they recommended I bed the rotors first with stock pads, and then put EBC on them a few weeks later. This is what both manufacturers recommend as a solution. But how would that solve the blue disc effect?

If someone can also point me to a web site or somewhere I can get pads from Lucas (which I suspect are the makers of the stock pads... so I gotta avoid that) or Ferodo.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If you're not going to thrash the brakes then EBC would make sense, as they have pretty decent pedal feel and bite, but dust up alloys a lot less under normal driving. My point was that, if you drive hard and use the brakes heavily, the EBCs don't fade, but get too hot for standard cast iron brake discs to cope, you have to have a 'harder' disc material

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i wouldn;t buy f***do.. not the best i have ever come against on my last rover gti.. fade really badly after any sort of heavy braking and wore down super quick.. if ur notwatin to spend big bucks i found mintex pads re great.. slight better performance over standard pads ( which could be a couple of manufacturers i guess.. but prob lucas) and they didn;t fade either.. found them great in my last nova..

(Edited - 26.06.03 14:51)
    it's dirty and you want it