Thread: Help needed with light switch !!!!!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Help needed with light switch !!!!!

i took my light switch out last night to change the bulbs to blue led's to match the rest of the car. i did it with two small screwdrivers like it shows in the haynes manual, easy to get out really.

How To (if you haven't already done it !!)

1. pull nob out (i mean the light switch !!)
    2. insert a small flat screwdriver into the slot in the bottom,
    3. push the scwerdriver up and the nob will gently pull off.
    4. insert a small flat screwdriver into the slot on the right hand side of to hole ( where nob was) slide the screwdriver behind the facia, there is a metal spring clip with a small hole in it, lever this out a bit(easy to do once you find the clip ) leave screwdriver in hole to stop the clip going back in
    5. do the same on the other side.
    6. the module will now pull out, bit fiddly to get out (i used a larger flat screwdriver in the same holes as the clips to lever the module forward.
    7. remove module, insert four small flat screwdrivers in the back, one aout 5mm from each corner on the back of the module.
    8. use another small flat screwy to lever the back off ( fiddly as ****, didn't even mark the plastic this way, you'll see if you do it)
    9. pull module apart.
    10. remove orange led @ the top of the module with pliers, screwey, side cutters . . . . . chainsaw (wont un-solder, resistance welded into place )
    11. solder on new led ( on mine the resistor went to the left hand contact as you look into the module)
    12. remove bulb holder, remove bulb from it (using a screwdriver to peel the legs off the contacts)
    13. insert new led and resistor, bend legs over contacts, solder onto contacts.
    14. Put modded bulb holder in , put part module back in, check it works
    15. take module back out, put module back together
    16. put back in.

and the bottom switches ( fogs, headlight high adjusters, dimmer switch) don't light up !!!!!!!!!!! any suggestions lads ???? when i plugged the module back in without the front on, turned the lights on, the led lights up , doesnt light the switches up with the front on though ????!!!

so any suggestion why they dont light up ??
    any suggestions how to get them to light up ??

anyone else found this ????????????

cheers
    wiggy
    If at first you don't succeed . . . . . . CHEAT !!!!!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Its the way the LED's dont spread the light.

The original bulb spreads light in all directions to reach every swith but the LED only pushes the light forward. Hence anything not directly lined up with the LED will not be lit.
    Skuzzle - Powered by Badgerbyte Web & IT Services

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yeah i though it was that too, i might solder in another led and point it towards the switches. more bodging in order me thinks :shock: !! trick lights though

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi wiggy, have you got any photos of your blue'ness ? I realise you've not finished yet, but i just mean your work so far, also - have you got white dials ?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    why not get a blue filament bulb?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    sorry lads, i haven't been ignoring you, got a lot of work to do, so i can only have a play on the site every now and then.

@ Cash, i took some pics but they came out really, really crap !!!! im gonna have a play with the settings on my digi cam and see if i can take some better ones. its hard to find some where dark enough for the lights to show up on the pics. there fairly bright in the dark but they seem to dissapear on the camera !!!!! weird !

i've got a 1.4i 16v (eco) s reg g, it has the black standard dials with white needles and numbers. all the numbers and needles glow blue, the only trouble is the red 30mph mark and the other red marks for temp and fuel dont show to good in the dark. but im well chuffed with them !!! the cig lighter and heater controls look trick as well !! once again cheers Alan.

@ tundo, the blue filaments are a different shade of blue to the leds, don't want my car looking like a christmas tree !! lol !! gonna bodge another led in this weekend me thinks.

will try and take some pics in the next few weeks and post them for ya lads, mates got my camera at the mo.

cheers wiggy.