Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bonnet Lifter's not fitting right...?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Bonnet Lifter's not fitting right...?

Well I finished fitting my lifter's at the show (put the clips in last night and tightened the bolts up).

The bonnet sits flush on passenger side, but the bonnet lifts up drivers side.

Does it do this on anybody elses car...? Pete, John, what about yours ?

It looks odd with the bonnet being lifted up one side, I think I am going to take them off and send them back to Performance Solutions.

Pete said that he got a lot more bolt's than me when he ordered them from PVD, so I may return mine and get a set from there.

Come on guys, what your experience of fitting Lifters to the G ?

Regds,

Mantamagic

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    This is an odd one. Looking at Petes and some of the other guys motors at the show and they have removed the bolt up from the lifter arm mounting point. I haven't and don't need to ny the looks of things. I am not sure if petes and the others are a different make but it seems a little strange. Maybe mines broken ...

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Rob...try fitting the struts the other way round and removing the bolt next to the swivel joint on the wing...and remove the foam pads on the bonnet and see what happens...as for having a sack full of nuts and bolts left over dont bother about it, i chucked them in the bin

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

They don't fit properly period!

I think the manufacturer's of these strut's need to develop them specifically for model's of car as the Inxx one's do not fit properly.

You can see from the installation instruction's that they are supposed to fit a variety of vehicle's so it is obvious they are not made specifically for a single application.

I am not satisfied with the fact that they almost fit.

I tried every possible combination, and all I did was damage my car.

Where the bracket sit's on the bonnet hinge, every time the bonnet is shut the fastening of the ball pin at the rear of the bracket is pushed into the bonnet damaging the metal.

Also was not happy wih the fact that the bonnet did not sit flush when it was shut.

I have already heard of some of these struts corroding, possible due to the bonnet not sitting correctly.

I am sending them back, and will use the money back from them (if they will refund) to buy a boost gauge.

Regds,

Mantamagic

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i fitted them on a mk3 and i haven`t had any trouble i have heard that you need to take out a bolt on either side of the wing on a G

Mothers with teenagers know why animals eat their young

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    mine dont sit right either, up at both sides.

but I havent removed the foam bits and I think i've put the angled things on the wrong way round, facing the engine and sticking down from bonnet.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Tried Everything already

I tried everything until I was blue in the face, this included :- removing wing bolts, turning round the lifters, removing rubber pads.

They just do not fit properly.

With the Mk3 the sill is straight, but the G comes down and around so the lifter cannot sit in the bottom of the sill.

The fitting is totally different anyway on the G, as you have to fit an angle bracket onto the hinge bolt.

Have just tried calling Performance Solutions to enquire about sending them back, but they are closed for a summer recess until 26 th June.

Regds,

Mantamagic

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I hve the inxx ones I brought of Turbo toe and they fit spot on, no probs, just need to remove a bolt from the wing to stop em from catching, only greif I have are from the bonnet not being fitted dead straight and you can see the lift on one side, but I will sort it when I have time.

Status
    Sir Peter Pan
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Manta, you saw mine on sunday, they fitted ok. They`re INXX from PVD.

I really don`t know what else you can do, `cept return `em and get some more from PVD.
    My Project Auto-Biography Thread: Skin of an Astra - Heart of a Monaro - Click here to read more!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Had enough with them

They do not sit in the sill properly on the Astra G.

They were not made for the application, they were adapted.

I am annoyed with them, as they have damaged my bonnet.

I am sure all of you with them fitted will find the same damage if you take the angle brackets off.

The bonnet does not sit properly with them fitted, and they are visible when the bonnet is closed. Is it any wonder the struts corrode prematurely.

I have decided anyway, sending them back and getting a Splitfire Boost Gauge.

Regds,

Mantamagic

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast