Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Oh Vauxhall ! Give me a brake !

Bought my 2.0i 16v SRi 3-door hatch 2000-Vreg in March 30,000 miles

after driving it for a few weeks after various styles of driving I started to hear some noise coming from the rear brakes, I would explain the noise but I never got to work out quite when it would do it or what it sounded like.
    I got it at everything from 70mph to around town. but not all the time. :roll:

anyway after a long 250 mile trip I got back to my town and was driving along and the brakes sounded like slight metal to metal rubbing then when I braked it sounded like it was full on metal clamping the disc it went grnnnnnnnnnnnnn. :shock:

so didn’t drive it and booked it in to my local Vauxhall dealer the next day 8:00am.

they rang me up at about 11:00am, they said ...

"Hello, we've taken a look at the car and I need to ask you some questions and depending on how you answer determines who will pay for the work to be done"

so I liked the sound of that ! and it was like being on weakest link ! :P

Q1 : what is the capitol of brazil ? :?:
    A1 : Rio De janeiro ... no no no ... i mean Brasilia ! (I'm treading a fine line here on the plot of 'I still know what you did last summer' copyright)

anyway that wasnt really the question ...

Q1 : have you had the car from new ? :?:
    A1: no.

Q2 : have you got a full service history ? :?:
    A2 : yep a full Vauxhall history.

he says "ok I have got to get on to Vauxhall and see what they say, you may not have to pay for it all"

I asked " I take it there is a fault then?"

"yes Vauxhall are aware of a fault with the rear callipers on some Astras, the fault is with the callipers and the handbrake and the rear brakes can stay on"

and away he went...

he Rang me back at 1:00pm

"you need ...

new rear callipers
    new rear discs
    new rear pads
    new handbrake cable :shock:

Vauxhall are going to pay HALF of your total bill. "

and they did. including half the labour, also all the parts and labour was done at discounted rate.

its on the bill as "50% Vauxhall good will gesture"

I don’t like the garage that much so I went back last week and got the Vauxhall 'case number' off them and am going to speak to Vauxhall customer services this week to see if their story matches.

Anyway, thought I'd share this with you all, has anyone else had this ?

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    There is a known recall or 'in-service' modification for the rear calipers that effects SOME 4-disc Astras and coupes. The easy answer for Vauxhall is to check the pads arnt rubbing on the rear discs in-service ,and replace the pads with a modified set Free of charge. (or when the costomer complains) But in your case this has not been picked up , then continually driven resulting in greater damage. I would have kicked up more of a fuss and demanded a near-on 100% payment from Vauxhall on this.
    why do today what you can...... I'll finish this later

2958cc was 175BHP @ 4000rpm, 370Nm (273lb.ft.) @ 1900rpm NOW 230BHP/469Nm (344.9lb/ft)!! www.IUsedToOwnTwoAstras.com

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    i have had this happen to me only yesterday (friday6 june 03) i ended up getting all the rear brake calipers and new pads, cables etc replaced for free, and my car to is a v reg sri, and its out of warrenty

good job too, i had the problem dionosed in the morning and vauxhall rang back with a case number and informed the dealers they could go ahead with it all, by 3 pm i was having the whole lot done as they even had bits in stock??? thats a rareity!!! :shock:

i had found out that the car had already had one set of calipers on in jan 2001, so i told vauxhall i wouldn't be happy paying for a design fault which they should have already fixed.... :?

les2002

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I want Vauxhall to pay for it all which is why I am going to speak to them, thanks for the info & opinions, I don't know what determines how much Vauxhall will pay so I will find out.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    So you've only had the car 3 months....dam right you go and check with Vx...
    at the moment mine does it but its not bad as it dosnt always do it..just waiting for it to get worse

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have had the car 3 months but...

The car is 3 years 5 months old.

I didnt buy it from the Vauxhall garage who have done my brake work.

I took it there because they are a Vauxhall garage and they are 1 mile away from my house.

If Vauxhall wont pay any more then I will go back to the place I bought it.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It is a recall by Vaux, a well known recall, therefore you should not have to pay a penny, I didnt, and i'm sure hundreds of others havent. Tell your dealer that you've spoken to Vaux customer care and they have said it should be done for free!!!

Dont forget, all Vaux dealers are Franchises, but if its a recall, they will get the parts free also!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'll have to book mine into the garage next week.
    When I apply the brakes it sounds like a train stopping.
    Yes it really is a 1.3!!

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Jesus H Christ. I gotta V reg Astra n all. Might get brakes checked. My ABS n Traction controll light have been stayin on for a few days now dunt know what thats about? Help any one

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The fault originally manifests itself as a squealing noise as you reverse, after the car has been parked. Vauxhall told me the problem doesn't happen to all rear disc equipped Astra and Vectra models, so they fit the balance weights if you ask about it. My car was 6 months old when I bought it (ex demo, so probably the fault was never apparent to the dealership) and the mod was done under warranty for free after I spoke to my local dealer about it.

The problem you have is that the previous owner must have been a muppet and not questioned the horrid squealing from under their car each morning as they backed off their driveway. There was no recall as such, because the problem doesn't affect the braking or the safety of the car.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast