Thread: are sxi's slow?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

are sxi's slow?

i used to drive a vauxhall astra 1.6 16v sport (mk3) this is quite a nice car still got it but hardly ever drive it mainly used by the old man now.

i got a 52 plate sxi a couple of months ago and now that the novelty of having a new car is starting to wear out im noticing its actually quite sluggish.

i do have a ecu problem to be sorted out soon, but today i stuggled to get to a 100 mph, the car has a gradual pick up but no real kick

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I would agree with you. Mines is failry nippy at low speed but it defiantely is a gradual build up at higher speeds and there is no kick at 70mph+. I still think it is pretty good going considering it is only a 1.6.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    what?! i've got a 2003 1.6 16v sxi and mines the total opposite!

everyone always comments on how I can get soo much acceleration from 5th gear, like on if im about to overtake, already going say 70, it pulls away easy, not uphill i;ll admit but on flat or downhill, she goes!

thats what i love about it, i usually dont have to change down a gear to overtake, unless I'm taking a stupid chance and have to cut back in quick but thats not often.

a workmate of mine has a 52plate sxi and his drives totally different to mine, he seems to drop a gear for any acceleration, maybe its different on the 2003 model :?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    its the engine that matters!! the newer sxi's are quicker than the older sri's! if u have a 1.8, if that counts, sxi is just a trim nothing else.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I find the same as adam, my 1.6 16v SXi is better top end than anywhere else. Accelerating through 1st 2nd and 3rd is pretty good, 4th gear sucks whilst accelerating but when in 5th at around 70-80 mark if i put my foot down i find it will get to 100-120 fairly easy.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hmmm
    im seriously considering the 1.6 16v as my mates got the lump in his mk3 sport and seems quick, probably on par with my ageing 2l 8v lump, which seems to struggle top end now as well, but the acceleration in 1st and 2nd is impressive.

im not all that bothered by silly speeds as i rarely speed anyway, but it is nice to have some power to play with there.
    when i took one for a test drive, it felt quite good with smooth power across all gears, except 4th which felt bit sluggish but that does in my current car.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have a 1.6 16 valve sport and it's very nippy,it flies to 100 mph easily, I have never taking it over 100mph as I am not a mad driver lol but the power is there to go more. It's quick for a 1.6 16 valve . Mark

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ive got a 1.6 16v SXi and although im not going to beat scoobys in it - its still fast enough

mine pulls to 120 no problem.

i dont find first gear very good but it pulls very well through the gears.

i have a modded air box with k&n filter and jetex cat back exhaust which help to add a few ponies as well.

when mine was a few months old i was thinking the same thing - it didnt seem very nippy - but when the engine was fully run in and i fitted the above gear im happy with it now.
    Previous Astras: 1994 Cesaro 1.8 16v | 2002 SXi 1.6 16v | 2001 Coupé 2.0 Turbo | 1999 LS 1.6 16v
    Other Vauxhalls: 2001 Vectra 1.8 16v| 2003 Vectra GSi 3.2 V6 | 2005 Signum CDTi 150

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i have a x 2000 1.6 sxi and mine feels a bit slow bottom end but 5th gear just keeps going and going

I was reading if you have the air con on you loss power and i have noticed the difference

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

hmmm!

correct me if i am wrong but sxi sri gsi are all just trims for different size engines arnt they. The engine in a 1.8 sxi is the exact same as that in a 1.8 sri. Its just a different level of trim. Different body kit or alloys etc. Perhaps there is a difference in the gsi, that has a turbo.

maybe someone with a bit more knowlege can clear this up for us

cheers
    andy

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast