Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Big Brother Hits The Road!!

This better not happen!!

Motoring groups the other day blasted a Government experiment putting speed-limiters in cars.

Campaigners say the move will cause MORE accidents as drivers start to rely on the gadgets.

And they fear the trial could be the first step towards fitting all cars with the device.

Ministers the other day launched a test of the gadgets, which work by picking up satellite messages indicating the local speed limit.

The devices then send pulses which control a car's revs if it goes too fast. But compaigners fear drivers will stop concentrating on the road if speed is automatically controlled.

They also warn overtaking will be a nightmare because drivers won't be able to rely on the full power of acceleration.

Brian Gregory, of the Association of British Drivers, said: "They are a dangerous distraction. Drivers won't be concentrating on anything but steering. And once this technology is in, what is to stop the Government making it compulsory?"

Very worrying ...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    they really have taken it too far now, I know the japs are all limited to 70 over there which is a bit safer, but say if you needed to get someone to hospital fast or you had to break the speed limit to escape being killed by something? Good one mr blair.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    over taking on a country lane would be suiside with a 70mph limiter!!!!!!!!!!!

TBH i dont think it will happen...

i think most road accidents happen on roads with a limit less then 70mph, so a 70 limit would not help!! :?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    One scenario:
    Your on a busy motorway, look in your rear view mirrors and clock an out of control 18 wheeler bearin down on you.
    As anyone with any sense knows, you would have to speed up in order to prevent an accident.

If this device did limit your speed:
    For safety I definately don't think this limiter should happen, unless it had some sort of instantaneous over-ride device.
    http://www.nextlevel.pwp.blueyonder....mLogo75pix.jpg
    For low priced Vauxhall/Opel & Irmscher Parts
    Opel Nienhaus, Contact Joerg- j.libuda@opel-nienhaus.de

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    in theory i am all for it - it would be for the best even if it wasnt fun. but at the same time as you guys have said - in practice it would make things worse :roll:
    Previous Astras: 1994 Cesaro 1.8 16v | 2002 SXi 1.6 16v | 2001 Coupé 2.0 Turbo | 1999 LS 1.6 16v
    Other Vauxhalls: 2001 Vectra 1.8 16v| 2003 Vectra GSi 3.2 V6 | 2005 Signum CDTi 150

Status
    In House Designer
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    bugger that what a crap idea, why don't they fill some of the holes in the road in, before they mess around with rubbish like this, welcom the the 'nanny state' alright. whats next bikes which explode if you ride on the pavement?

i'm not some crazy speeder or anything but if I'M driving I want to be full control of my vehical, i don't want the govenrment to be sitting next to me advising me on my speed and breaking distances!

:roll:
    Visit our-formats.com for creative design services

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Did anyone read the following story : (was front page of scottish Daily Mail)

"Parked half on a pavement, half on a double yellow line and in a cycle lane, this police patrol is busy trapping motorists with a speed camera - HYPOCRITES"

OOPS!!! :shock:
    Coupe Turbo, Europa Blue, Lumma GTR2 kit, 19" alloys... Eats small animals for breakfast... I just have to deal with the consequences

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    They fitted speed limiter to lorrys and they can override them. They put 'unchippable' ECUs in cars to stop people modding them and polluting the atmosphere and they invented the piggyback chip. They came up with the undetectable 'Instant on' laser speed guns, they invented the laser jammer.

What happens if we're all limited to 70mph and some nutter in a derestricted car flys up the back of you at 100mph?

How would it work with foreigners from unrestricted countries, or those with different technology?

What about classic cars? How does it work going from a 70mph stretch into 30mph zones? Will the car cut in and brake like hell?

It's another load of bullsh*t from John Prescott, the fat useless *****. Why don't they come with REAL speeding and road safety ideas, like GATSOs at the entry and exit roads to schools etc? Automatic speed bumps, which only rise when a car is over the speed limit (Yes, you can get these today, councils just don't want to spend the money, as Blair wrings every penny back off them)

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    whats next, minority report style cars that automatically stop and drive back to the police station if theyre after you!?

I do think its good for areas around schools and built up neighbourhoods but to control our speed on open roads outwith citys would be criminal!!

it wont go through, its due to break some european human rights law, everything does nowadays.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    oh well if you all want to find out where the gatsos are in an area you havent been before www.ukgatsos.com