Thread: Bleeding Front Brakes

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Bleeding Front Brakes

Finally fitted my new V6 Big brake conversion only to then find that the ****ing things didn't work. Naturally I was very annoyed and apparently I need to bleed the brakes.

Can anyone tell me how I do this (I know I need 2 people).
    Thanks
    Howellsy

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Like the absolute non mechanic i would say get it done by the pro's to make sure it's done right.

If you are doing it your self you have to do one at a time starting with wheel furthest away from the fluid resevoir and work your way in.2 pumps of the pedal for each one.And fill it back up with some good stuff like that DOT 5 stuff or whatever it's called :?

Am i right all you mechanics out there?? lol

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Roughly speaking alan yes.

Pump a lot of fluid through not just to pump as they are new brakes.

1. Top the brake fluid to the top.
    2. Undo the bleed nipple but dont take it out(only really need 1 turn)
    3.Get someone to push on the brake pedal a few times, then hold the pedal down.
    4. Nip back up the nipple
    5. Release foot off brake pedal
    6. Undo nipple
    7. Push down on brake pedal and hold down
    8. Do up nipple
    9. Lift up brake pedal
    10. Repeat a few times remembering to only press down once on the pedal and hold.

11. Do other side

12. Go rag the shit out of your new brakes(your supposed to wear them in over 500miles but no-one ever does).

Best to use dot 5 but only if your going to bleed the rears as well, cos you shouldn't really mix 4 and 5 up.

Start on the nipple furthest away from brake fluid eservior.
    Cant Think of Anything Funny To Say

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well the advice was great and it worked for a little while....

When I was changing the calipers I had to try very hard to undo the brake line from the old caliper and must have split it. I took my car to the garage just to be sure about my brakes and they said there was a leak. New line has been ordered and hopefully I can pick my car up tomorrow.
    Howellsy

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    For information more than anything else. You can buy a Gunson pressure bleeding kit for under £20, a good investment for the home mechanic. With a pressure bleeder you fill the system as normal, then use the kit, with the air pressure in the spare wheel tyre and the reservoir of brake fluid which is part of the kit, to bleed the brakes.

Basically you fit the bleed kits cap to the cars reservoir and then apply the pressure from the spare wheel. Go round and bleed the legs of the system one by one and job is done. When you consider that enough fluid to replace everything in your car would cost under a tenner it is a good buy, as a garage will charge around £30 to replace the brake fluid, with labour. DOT 5.1 (not DOT 5, different fluid, I think that one is silicone based, for sub zero temperatures) will improve pedal feel and reduce fading (which can occur when the fluid boils)

If you track day regularly then the kit is a must, as you hammer the brakes a lot on the track and this can bugger the fluid a lot quicker than on the road

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    DOT 5.1 (not DOT 5,
    Well spotted mate, I meant 5.1 soz
    Cant Think of Anything Funny To Say