Thread: Glovebox Mod

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Glovebox Mod

Has anyone modified there glovebox for a non-vauxhall cd changer. Or does anyone have suggestions on how to make a neat job of cutting the plastic.
    Cheers

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    On my old Astra G, I was gonna put mine in the glovebox, but then had a look in the boot, I put it in the hole where the first aid kit went.
    Just an Idea
    Astra Sri Turbo

CS4 276BHP/325lbft

LMF Vauxhall - 01858 433599

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yeah matey, i've put a kenwood 10 disc changer in mine. this is what i did :-

first of all you have to remove the glove box, three torx screws at the top, three at the bottom. remove these, pull the box out a little and disconnect the glove box light connector. because of the sixe of my changer i had to remove the centre shelf, to do this i had to remove the door. to do this :-

open the door, tap out the hinge pins with a pin punch or a nail. unclip the sliders.

to reomve the shelf : - there are some clips on the back edge of the shelf, these clip through holes in the back of the box, push the clips together and slide the shelf out ( not as easy as it sounds, there hard to push together).

next i marked the holes for the brackets onto the inside of the top of the glove box ( assembled the cd changer held it where i wanted it and marked the hole with a permi marker)

then i held a panel pin in a pair of pliers, heated it up with a blow lamp and pushed the pin through the centre of the hole marks. then i enlarged these holes with a drill from the outside ( had to do it like that cause the drill doesnt fit in the box !! )

then i held the changer in place, marked where the wire hole needed to be and then drilled it and filed itup until the wire fit through.

connected it up, bolted in the changer, put the door back on, connected up the light and put the glove box back in.

hey presto, job done. will post some pics if you need be to .
    If at first you don't succeed . . . . . . CHEAT !!!!!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I stuck mine down with good quality two way tape, and it spent 3 years there without once moving or skipping.
    All that i srequired to remove the shelf is a good sharp pull. With the Glove box still fitted to the dash open the door, catch the shelf and give it a sharp pull, it should come out quite easily.
    I have a 6 disc changer, so i stuck it to the shelf with two way tape, drilled a hole in the rear of the box for the cables and that was it, job done

I've got a Pioneer 6 disc in my glovebox. Took the interior light out, used the negative from that for the changer and used the whole left by the light to feed the changer cable through ! All done with the glovebox in. The changer sits on the top shelf perfectly, secured down with carpet 2 sided tape !!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    thanks guys for the responses, I have had the glove box out. In the glove box there was a 4 disc changer which i have taken out, but there is 3 shelves on the left hand side that span further than half way. I want to put in a sony 10 disc changer, which is quite big, so I need to take out at least 2 of the shelves. I have had the inserts out, but there is still the sourround that seems to me to be moulded into the glove box and I think I need to cut these out neatly some how.
    Any further suggestions and pictures would be useful.
    PS does everyone have these shelves in the glove box i'm on about?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    in my glovebox there is only one shelf?? :shock:

i had an original 6 disc changer fitted, which i took out because i changed the headunit, i fitted a kenwood one, straight swap, ie no cutting, no drillig, nothing, jus bolt on to the shelf, with the old bolts.

the shelf is still there, but im not sure if there's only one shelf. if u take a pic of the shelf, then i can tel u if mine is the same. if not, go 2 vauxhall and get 1 like mine

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The ones that had the 4 disc changer mounted in them were different, my advice would be to go to your local scrap yard, where you should be able to pick up an ordinary one fairly cheap, will make the job much easier.