Thread: Amp Mounting

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Amp Mounting

Is it possible to mount an amp on the back of a sub box? It'd make life easier for removal - i often need all my boot space at the cost of bass unfortunately. Anyone found a good way of fixing a sub box down in a semi quick release fashion?

Cheers

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    I've got my kenwood amp mounted to the box my 2 10's are in, I did it for the same reason you want to do it.
    Used some quick release connectors from R.S I belive and they can handle 60amps.
    Would post a pic but got no where to upload the pics to now mig web have gone but i'll be at PV on the astrasport stand if you wanna have a look
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote
    Electrical fault finding also taken on
    Located in N/W London HA3, and willing to travel within reason

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Not a good idea as I've seen the results from this. The bass makes the box flex slightly and the internals of the amp move with it. This ends up breaking the internal components, and you end up with a dead amp.
    Polar Sea Blue MK4 Astra 5 Door

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have a vibe sub and my amp came mounted on the side of the sub, surly if this wasnt a good idea they wouldnt have done it

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I agree with Mark on this point. I too have seen the results of this and it is not a good idea. In Fact most top amp manufacturers recommend against this and many like Zapco, Xtant, Soundstream will not cover damange caused by doing this.

Some manufacturers do mount there amps on the sub boxes but bear in mind that they have designed these setups to do this. As Razor says Vibe being a case in point. If you absolutely must do this then ensure that the MDF that you use is of sufficient thickness such that you minimise this enclosure flexing.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cheers guys, if i'll get the kit and then decide where to put it... If i have to mount the amp on the box, i'll put somthing absorbent between them, dunno what, maybe just spacers on the screws or some foam or somthing

Phil