Thread: smoothed tailgate.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

smoothed tailgate.

FAO :- all you guys with smothed tailgates or to those who know their stuff !!!, some stupid questions : -

1. how do they do it ???
    2. how do you open the boot ????
    3. how much did it cost ya ??? and last but not least,
    4. what have ya done with your numberplate ???

im thinking of getting the work done but wanted some answers to the above questions first,

cheers.
    If at first you don't succeed . . . . . . CHEAT !!!!!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Wiggy,

l'm gonna be havin mine done in the next few months, not sure how much yet, but l think around £400.

Once done you have to have a boot popper solonoid mech wired up in the car(like in the old XR2i's).

What they do is strip the boot of the lock, handle, whatever else you have on there, weld a piece of metel across the numberplate recess, smooth it all completely off, then respray it, the numberplate then has to have a recess cut into the back bumper or just stuck to it, all depends on your preference.
    Quite a job mate, but well worth it, cos as on some of the members car's on here it looks stunnin.

J
    SOLD Slightly tickled 175.9bhp 2.2 SE2 on 19" vxr's..

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i think they looks sweet on most astra's, jus make sure you find a good bodyshop to do it otherwise it'll end in tears.

To do the job properly the bodyshop will weld a piece of sheet metal over the recess and use very little filler, this prevents any sinking/cracking etc.

The boot can be opened via a solenoid, cars like focus's have these standard and a boot popper button on the dash. If it was me i would have the solenoid boot release working off a channel on your alarm, so its remote.

Not sure on cost...i haven't had it done but Matg or amk4 (liam) will be able to give u an idea.

The number plate is usually relocated in the rear bumper, i would have a smaller recess cos the standard no. plate size is quite big...looks better imo. A new no. plate light will need to be fitted as well, the old light in your bumper looks best if removed. Bodyshops either custom make the recess, i.e make a few cuts in the bumper and use fibreglass/plastic welding etc or you can use a recess from another car.

A cheaper way is to mount the plate is on the bottom of your bumper/valance using a bracket. A light will still need to be rigged up unless u fancy visiting TVR and persuading them to sell u there 'light up plates'

Hope this helps mate

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    anyone know where i can get one of these boot popper kit from ????

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Crap...5 mins late lol.

I would also have the rear wiper removed...looks better but it'll mean a compromise in rear view mirror visablility :?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    wiggy, u can use one from a focus or some places sell a designated kit aimed at people flushing tailgates....more expensive tho

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    umm, not sure on the wiper, tend to use it a lot in preston, rains alot here !!! any rear mk4 bumpers have a recess in off-the-shelf ??? if so which ones ??

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Nah, u cant get a mk4 astra rear bumper with a recess....actually saying that, someone posted a pic of a south afirican astra?!? had a flush gate as standard...the car as a whole looked rank tho. Not sure who found the pic but it was on here a while back, u prob wouldn't b able to get hold of it anyways :?

If you're anywhere near brum RJ automotive that did Mat G's car (see gallery) will be able to advise best and give u a price. It will more that likely be a case of custom making a recess...dont forget to have the old number plate light in ya bumper smoothed out as well tho!

I had the tailgate on my old corsa smoothed and i found the RainX stuff u can get from most places as well as halfords makes the rain run straight off the glass!

Hope this helps matey

Status
    Banned
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    That be the one John! lol. The pics i saw were black i think... but its the same, the silver one is a saloon but the hatch is same style.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast