Thread: The 1.8 Sport.....

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The 1.8 Sport.....

hi, in next few months i'm gonna be lookin to buy meself a 1.8 sport (3 door). I've asked on here before,l but just got a few more questions to do with this model.......

I'm lookin to buy one in a dark colour, seen loads of black ones around, but was also interested in that real dark royal blue colour and the dark silver/grey as well (like M1 GST). Could anyone tell me the proper names for these 2 colours?

Also, insurance group. I'm a bit confused as to what ins. grp the 1.8 16 sport (1998-1999) is. I've seen different sites/mags say 7/8/9.......but i'm unsure. i'm 19, with 3 year ncb (extra year courtesy of CIS) and was wonderin what sorta premium u think i'll be lookin to pay? 3rd party fire and theft.....

And last but not least, power and speed. Wot sorta top speeds u had out of ur sports and 0-60, they much good? I've heard alot of ppl say they are sprightly engines and speed figures in mags etc are very much understate for insurance purposes....?

Any of your time and help would be greately appreciated. Thanks alot,

Matt
    soon to be the owner of a 1.8 sport.....(currently a 1.2 corsa)

Status
    The Sticker Queen
    Mentioned in
    35 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    The Blue might be Polar Sea Blue but I'm not 100% on that.

Do you mean this blue?

www.parkers.co.uk is a good place to look at insurance groups. Can you actually pay TPFT for a car worth over £5000? I dont think all insurance companies will let you.

M1GST is black.
    MINXY BUTLER-HENDERSON

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    There are 2 variants for the 1.8 engine, one is the earlier 115 bhp, the other 125bhp. So depening on which one performance varies and so does insurance
    why do today what you can...... I'll finish this later

2958cc was 175BHP @ 4000rpm, 370Nm (273lb.ft.) @ 1900rpm NOW 230BHP/469Nm (344.9lb/ft)!! www.IUsedToOwnTwoAstras.com

Status
    Turbo Jizz Golfer !
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It could be Polar Sea Blue, as mine is that colour and it is a real dark shade of blue like you are saying.

As for insurance, the SRi 2.0 is 11, Sri 2.2 is 11 so I think the 1.8 would likely to be 8/9 . This is just my guess however

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Not sure what insurance group it is but ive ordered a 1.8 16v SRi and im 21 with 2 years ncb. Best quote I have had is £605 (with £25 cash back so £580 p.a.) and that is FULLY COMPREHENSIVE which I think is bloody marvellous.

I did phone up and double check they hadnt misquoted me and its all correct. They even gave me a new reference number so all i have to do is phone up and quote it when the car arrives and im insured.

That is with Norwich Union Direct....next cheapest was over a grand.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yeah, thats the colour above, cheers. polar sea blue

Hmm yeah i was wondering that too, bout being tpft on a car >£5k, but it has let me do it on various online forms. The car i buy isnt likely to be worth over £5.5k anyway, so if it came down to it, i'll just tell em its valued at £4995 or woteva....

I think i'll stick with CIS for insurance as when i rang them just now, its on their computers as grp 6/7 which is spot on

i'll be going for a 98 model, so it'll only be the 115bhp motor init. What year did they start puttin the 125motor in the sport?

Oh, and what do u lot think of the 1.8 focus zetec? unfortunately not as willing performance wise, but the ones i've been to look at have seemed more comfy and loaded with extras when compared to the sport?

let us no ur opinion!! Thanks again in advance!

Matt
    soon to be the owner of a 1.8 sport.....(currently a 1.2 corsa)

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The focus zetec is the nearest rival to the Astra. It really comes down to personal taste and badge preference.

The Focus (I have one too), is a taller car and really leans on corners, and isnt so willing to carry speed in to a bend. But the rear suspension is more sorted and will swing the car round well. The suspension is softer and more relaxed too. The steering wheel is very chunky and thick and the 'cutting edge' dash design is overdue a makeover. When you lift the tailgate, the whole thing wobbles. I dont think the metal is that strong.

The astra, the engine is as willing as the focus, but the track is wider making cornering sharper, the driving position is low down and hence corners much neater. The ride can be on the harsh side, more down to chassis design than anything. And gear selection is harder than the focus. Again the dash is due an update, but it is functional , whereas the focus is a little odd. Build quality is nearer VW than Ford will ever be.

As for resale, both are mass-produced, but at the moment Focus prices are holding as the New Astra is on the horizon and VXL are discounting new ones. In 3-4 years time , the focus will be easier to sell on if it's been looked after.
    why do today what you can...... I'll finish this later

2958cc was 175BHP @ 4000rpm, 370Nm (273lb.ft.) @ 1900rpm NOW 230BHP/469Nm (344.9lb/ft)!! www.IUsedToOwnTwoAstras.com

Status
    Club Chairman
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    The colours you are looking for are Polar Sea Blue (as stated before) and mine is Diamond Black.

The 1.8 16v Sport 1998-99 is the 115bHP engine they stared to put the 125BHP in around 2000...the torque is more or less the same....they are not quicker than the 115BHP.

They are Insurance group 7.

Have alook around for spec mine came with (admittedly it was imported)

Sport interior
    alloys
    fogs
    white dials
    A/C
    EW
    Drivers and passengers airbag
    CD Player
    Reach and rake steering
    Lumber supported seats
    ABS
    T/C (not all got this)
    Side air bags (not all got these)

I hope that is everything and it has been some help to you.
    Been apart of the inner circle since 2001
    Click Me to Join Astra Owners Club Full or Lite Members

Status
    Club Chairman
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    PS........Dont buy a ford!!
    Been apart of the inner circle since 2001
    Click Me to Join Astra Owners Club Full or Lite Members

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    lol @ MatG.

I've got a 1.8_16v Sport too. Polar See Blue.

http://www24.brinkster.com/shaank/shaan_k.htm

Pics are out of date by the way!!

It's a good car. Low insurance and still nippy, and comes with plenty of gear... although most of it wasn't standard on the sport, merely options... the SRi came with most of them as standard, so essentially it is possible to have a sport with nearly the exact spec of an SRi, with only IG7.

My sport's spec is ( or more was - lol ) the same as Mat's except I have a sunroof rather than A/C, live in Scotland so doesn't bother me!
    ShaanK. BMW E92 335i Msport and BMW E83 2.5i X3

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast