Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Front Door Components

Hey all!
    I want to replace the sub standard speakers throughout my Mk4 Astra. I'm putting 6x9's in a custom parcel shelf, but I'm a bit stuck with the front door speakers.

Does anybody know what size/diameter the speakers are in the front door? This applies to both the main speaker at the bottom and the tweeter unit near the mirror.

Also, If I use component speakers in the front, where is the best place to mount the crossovers? I'm thinking of tucking them away behind the dashboard unless someone has a better suggestion

Cheers in Advance
    --------------------------------------------
    http://www.asphyxiamultimedia.co.uk/

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    Front door speakers are 17cm and you need a pod to mount the speakers in which you can get from and good ICE shop or even halfords.
    Couldnt say what size the tweeter is but so far I havent had a problem fitting a new one in the same location.
    If your gonna mount the crossover behind the dash bare in mind you will then have to run 2 sets of speakers wires into the door and from experience on the MK4's this aint a easy job. Apart from that depending on the size of the crossover you should be able to fit it behind the door panel
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote
    Electrical fault finding also taken on
    Located in N/W London HA3, and willing to travel within reason

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Fantastic!
    Thanks for that! I can happily go and order some speakers now........

Cheers again !!
    --------------------------------------------
    http://www.asphyxiamultimedia.co.uk/

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    let us know how you get on when you get your components, im also thinking of changing them. i think somone posted on the old site that they hid the crossovers in some polystyrene on the back of the door skin, something to do with the arm rest, not to sure though.
    If at first you don't succeed . . . . . . CHEAT !!!!!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My crossovers are in my boot, and I've run two lots of 12AWG cable through each door for the tweeter and speaker
    Polar Sea Blue MK4 Astra 5 Door

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I went through this a few months back, replaced mine with Infinity Components...I wrapped the crossovers in the polythene bags that came with the speakers and thought that would be ok and popped in the bottom corner of the door, away from the window mechanism...

It was great till...it rained!!!

Anyways I ended up opening them up again 3 times and rewrapping - finally with two layers of anti-static bags that come with PC components and touch wood, been fine since...

I also didn't fancy running new wires into my coupes doors..

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    the cross overs are there to split the signal and send high freq to the tweeter and the rest to the main woofer right?

if so, what is the point in putting another crossover in when replacing the front speakers? surely the signal is already split between the woofer and the seperate tweeter? so can't you just put a new set of components in without using the crossovers supplied? what is the advantage to using the crossovers that came with the speakers instead/as well?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Can you explain further please Mark.

Are there 2 wires coming into the door - 1 for the woofer and 1 for the tweeter? I thought I had read that the standard Vauxhall woofer had some kind of crossover built in - and that would mean a wire going from there to the tweeter.

I am wanting to put some semi-decent components in but haven't had a look yet at the existing setup.
    DC5 Honda Integra
    Type-R
    Silver

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SpideyMack
    Can you explain further please Mark.

Are there 2 wires coming into the door - 1 for the woofer and 1 for the tweeter? I thought I had read that the standard Vauxhall woofer had some kind of crossover built in - and that would mean a wire going from there to the tweeter.

I am wanting to put some semi-decent components in but haven't had a look yet at the existing setup.
    Just looking into it mate, but I always thought that the crossover was before the Woofer. As only one wire comes and goes from it.

I am looking at the Haynes wiring diagram now.
    Polar Sea Blue MK4 Astra 5 Door

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markb
    Just looking into it mate, but I always thought that the crossover was before the Woofer. As only one wire comes and goes from it.

I am looking at the Haynes wiring diagram now.
    so if the cross over is before the woofer, why do you need to put in the cross over that comes with the speakers? surely the frequency is already split for you by the inbuilt crossover? that was what had me confused! :?
    My car - Rusty Custom Creations Inc....

The only natural pilots are born with feathers.... except me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast