Thread: Performance Quiery About The Astra 1.6 8v Envoy

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Performance Quiery About The Astra 1.6 8v Envoy

Is there anyone else who owns this model of Astra?

I'm really struggling with the performance with mine at the moment and it is worrying me a little.

I find acceleration very fustrating and I am struggling to get the car over 60 mph!!

Anyone else with this model of Astra experiencing the same problems, or has my car got a problem?!

Cheers

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i've got a 1.4i 16v envoy, struggles at about 90 ish then pulls through it to about 125 ! think you must have a prob matey cause one of my mates has a 1.6 8v and he says his is fine, slow on acceleration though. he's tradeing it in for a 1.6 16v sxi .
    If at first you don't succeed . . . . . . CHEAT !!!!!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I got a 1.6 8v and its quite a nippy little beast - will pull all the way to 90 before and sluggishness occurs - then will pull slowly to around 125.

You must have a prob I think
    Skuzzle - Powered by Badgerbyte Web & IT Services

Status
    In House Designer
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i find the same as skuzzel, pretty nippy up to about 80 - 90 will then only pull very slowly , it's to do with the low ratio gear box.

i'd get yours checked out
    Visit our-formats.com for creative design services

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Under load do you notcied a missfire? Engine Management light coming on?

Could possibly be EGR (Exhaust Gas Recircualtion) valve.

Pop it down to your local dealer and book it on for a diagnostic check, probably set you back £25-£30.

My moneys on the EGR anyway...
    Regards
    Rich C

Former owner of Astra SXi.. New owner of a Satin Silver Civic Type R.. "Bye Bye GTi"!!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i get the engine managment light come on anyway when I get up to 120mph - Stays on until I slow back to about 80.

I just ignore it now cuase I cant see any problem with the car - lol
    Skuzzle - Powered by Badgerbyte Web & IT Services

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for that - I'll go for the dyno test at Vauxhall and see what the problem is.

I had to make the original message very brief as it was nearly 8am, and thats when I get cut off from the internet. Freeserve Hometime an' all ...

Anyway, I find this problem a real pain in the backside. I was traveling to Donny for the car show the other month, and the motorway journey was a complete nightmare! My car struggled like crazy climbing the slip road to join the motorway and I was just over 50 mph when I joined it! Other cars were zipping past me like you wouldn't believe. Then my car was pulling very slowly to get over 60 mph ... I had to push it more by changing down to 4th gear. I shouldn't have to do that! Then I slowly started to reach 80 mph, only when there came a slight inclimb in the road, my speed would drop down again to near 60 mph. I thought at this time I had a problem, but I didn't do anything about it.

Then this morning, coming home from work, I had this old banger in front of me travelling really slowly. There was a truck in the left lane next to this banger so I had to wait till there was space for me to go in front of the truck. When this happened I pulled into the first lane and changed to 3rd gear to undertake the banger ... but as soon as I did that, the b@stard driver of the banger decided to go faster. I thought I'm not having any of that and accelerated further. Only this other car (an old cr@ppy banger) kept his nose infront of me the whole time. I was in 4th gear trying to accelerate, and this is when I come across this problem again. I couldn't get above 60 mph ... and I had to leave gear in 4th to reach that! This old banger with 3 lads in it just left me standing and left me behind. I had to pull into the side of the road as I was so infuriated and embarressed. I haven't been so mad!

Now, I've decided to have my car looked at. It's no good having the good looks that my car has now due to my modding, if I don't have the punch to go with it. NIGHTMARE!!!!!!!

I know this model of Astra is supposted to have a top speed of 106 mph, so how have you guys with the same model managed to reach speeds of 125mph?

Really curious as to engine modifications for this model of Astra. What's the best ones to buy that would give me the most bhp increase? I don't really want to change my car for another Astra with more power as standard, as I have spent a lot of money on my car already ... and I don't want to start all over again with another Astra.

Help appreciated guys.

Status
    In House Designer
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    well i've got an 8v and it doesn't sound anything like what your describing, so i'd get that looked at asap if i was you.

keep engine mods simple for the 8v otherwise your just wasting your money, de-restricted air box, pannel filter, decent full exhaust system. and make sure everything else on the engine is working as it should.

i dunno about 125mph, vauxhall speedos do tend to tell quite a few porkies when they get near the top. personally mines never been over an indercated 110mph, speed limit is 70 remember folks! :P
    Visit our-formats.com for creative design services

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Spoke to Courtenay Sport, to get quotes for an engine swap. They quoted me over 7.5k for a 3.0 V6, or the 2.0 Turbo. Staggering! Could buy an Astra with all this as standard for that price!

Anyway ... they also told me that they can turbo-charge the 1.6 8v for 3.5k. What do you reck?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Add d dave on Facebook
    :shock: sounds like a plan
    Scottish Member? Have a peep at our Region For tints or wraps Click Here!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast